Hog and Strand lighting node - HELP

Hey guys,
I am doing a show at a university in town for a local dance recital. I am using a Road Hog and I am wanting to tie into the existing conventional lighting that is currently installed in the university auditorium. The entire lighting system is Ethernet and there are Ethernet to dmx nodes placed on stage to hook up another lighting console. It is a Strand system and the Strand node is a SN110. There is a digital read out on the note that has "dmx in" written on it with a solid line through it. When I hook up my dmx cable running from the Hog to the node the line goes away, meaning there it is recognizing dmx from the Hog board. However, I have no control. So I called Strand and talked with a support guy and says that because the SN110 node is a little old, the hog refresh rate might be to high. Is there a way to fix this or is there another solution i might not know about? Thank. And the show is friday.

Kyle
Parents
  • It's unlikely that the Hog's DMX signal is causing the problem. The Road Hog's DMX timing is extremely forgiving. Even a badly designed DMX receiver should be able to receive it.

The problem is most likely in the Show-Net network's configuration. Show-Net can carry hundreds of universes. You need to make sure that the input node you are using is configured to send on the same slots and universes as the dimmers, and that a higher priority device on the network isn't over-riding you.

With network-based DMX distribution (Art-Net, Show-Net, Pathport, etc.), the network effectively has its own patch. You can't just plug in and expect it to work; You have to configure the network.

How is the university's console connected? Does it also use a DMX input node or does it speak Show-Net directly? If it's also using an input node, your fastest solution may be to simply clone the patch from that console.

Footnote: Don't believe the BS about the node being old, DMX timing has been standardized since 1986, which far-predates the SN110.
  • It's unlikely that the Hog's DMX signal is causing the problem. The Road Hog's DMX timing is extremely forgiving. Even a badly designed DMX receiver should be able to receive it.

The problem is most likely in the Show-Net network's configuration. Show-Net can carry hundreds of universes. You need to make sure that the input node you are using is configured to send on the same slots and universes as the dimmers, and that a higher priority device on the network isn't over-riding you.

With network-based DMX distribution (Art-Net, Show-Net, Pathport, etc.), the network effectively has its own patch. You can't just plug in and expect it to work; You have to configure the network.

How is the university's console connected? Does it also use a DMX input node or does it speak Show-Net directly? If it's also using an input node, your fastest solution may be to simply clone the patch from that console.

Footnote: Don't believe the BS about the node being old, DMX timing has been standardized since 1986, which far-predates the SN110.
Children
No Data
Related