Effects...

Hi there,
I am about to order an ML but have a question for existing users.

It concerns this quoted from the manual.

'Effects are stored in Memories and Stack steps. They are referenced as a source, just 

like palettes. Thus, if you edit shape effect 3 it will be altered throughout your show 

whenever a memory containing it is played back.'

I don't see how dealing with effects like palettes is of any use. Surely you should use 'circle' as a base then modify it to suit your needs, changing size, speed etc then all that information is stored in the memory. Just having one type of circle is not much use.

Can you modify the pre built effects, so I could make a big circle and small circle etc. I presume that fan information is stored in the memory?
What control do you have over the inbuilt effects? Just having one circle type, or one type of strobe seems very restrictive. 
Comments??

Thank you,
Marc
Parents
  • Hi Marc -

There are three types of effects in SFML - you have 11 slots for shape effects (pan/tilt), another 11 slots for linear effects (any single parameter) and another 11 slots for color mixing effects (RGB or CMY). Each of these slots can contain a table that defines the effect - like "circle" or "square" for shape effects, and modifiers for that shape including things like size and rate. These things define the effect and you can then apply that effect to whatever devices you like. A reference to that effect slot is stored in the memory and any changes to the effect in that slot will be played back the next time around. If you want to have multiple versions of an effect with different sizes and rates and such, each version will occupy its own effect slot.

Fan can be used to change how selected devices interact with a shape or color effect (creating offsets). The fan information is outside of the effect itself and is stored in the memory as well.

I hope this clarifies things a bit...

Thanks -

Sarah

• Oh, that makes more sense!! I thought the 11 'slots' were for each different effect type, but now I understand you can program those individually.

Thanks for your speedy reply!

Marc
Reply Children
No Data
Related