Trouble connecting to PC

I have a Smartfade 24/96 and have used it for quite a few shows.  Each time, I've been able to connect it to my laptop for the purposes of helping in the programming phase.  This time, however, I cannot get the console to connect to the Smartsoft Software.

Here's what I've tried and what has happened:  (I should note that I'm running vista.)

When I first connect the console to the laptop, the data pipeline is established (as per the system device manager).  When I start the software, the initial splash screen where you choose the console to emulate does NOT appear but instead defaults to the small console.  The console still shows "offline".

When I start the software first (to choose the console to emulate) and then plug in console, the pipeline is established but the software still shows the console offline.

I downloaded the new version of the software and firmware.  I was able to load the new firmware onto the console, but the same things happened when I tried to connect the console to the new software.

I changed cables (thereby eliminiating a cable issue).  I've deleted the driver and reinstalled several times.

I'm able to still program the show without the computer.  The computer just makes things easier.  As far as I know, absolutely nothing has changed from the last time I connected this computer to the console and now.

Any suggestions are most welcomed and appreciated.

Mike

[edited by: MichaelBrown at 2:10 PM (GMT -6) on Fri, Jul 16 2010]
  • In order to connect SmartSoft to the console, you need a few things:

1. The console must be running the version that is compatible with that version of SmartSoft.
      • The "DLL version" in SmartSoft is the version number of SmartFade firmware for reference.
      • Look in "..\SmartSoft\Firmware Updates" for the firmware files.
    2. The console must be connected and recognised by Windows/Mac before starting SmartSoft.
    3. Windows/Mac must be using the correct driver.
      • Windows will generally get this wrong, you have to manually select the driver.
      • The driver is in \SmartSoft\Drivers

Unfortunately 64-bit Windows is not currently supported - we hope to release a 64-bit driver later this year.

The most common problem is Windows deciding to use the Microsoft generic USB driver instead of the ETC Smartfade driver.
    - I have seen Windows XP do this apparently at random, requiring you to re-install the driver.

To reinstall the USB driver under Windows:
    - Note that simply deleting the driver won't help, as Windows will just grab the wrong one again next time.

1. Connect the SmartFade
      • If you get a "New Device Found" dialog, skip to Step 5
    2. Open Device Manager
    3. Right-Click the "USB High Speed Pipe" or the "Unknown USB Device" that is the SmartFade
    4. Choose "Update Driver"
    5. Select "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install"
    6. Click the Browse button and browse to \SmartSoft\Drivers
    7. Click Ok, and confirm the driver choice.

That should solve it.

- If not, give ETC Technical Services a call - contact details here.

• I will repeat the steps exactly as listed, thank you.  I've tried that particular series of steps only to have smartsoft open but to at smaller console than what we have.  Even then, the console did not connect.

I will update after I try.

Thanks again.

• Still no luck getting the console to connect.  Following the steps verbatim results in the software opening in the smaller configuration mode and still not connected.  I've tried reflashing the console bios several times to no avail.  The run is almost over now.  I'm very impressed with how easy the console is to program without a screen and keyboard.

Thank you.

• This May or may not help but... Ive experienced similar issues. This happens when I try to use a USB port other than the one I was using When I initially installed the drivers for the smart fade. If you reinstalled the drivers that should have worked. Figured I'd drop ya two cents. Good luck.

• I was never able to get it to connect for the show.  I tried it in each of my 4 usb ports and none of them worked.  I tried everything up to and including the comments of the previous post to no avail.  I'm just very glad that it was relatively easy to program the show without using a monitor.

I'm going to try to get my hands on the console before the next show to see if I can get them to reconnect.

• Please contact our technical services department.  I am sure we can make this work.  There may be a problem with the way the drivers are installed, or something else.  We will help you to solve this problem, on the phone and probably on the spot.  The forum is not the best place to do this.

Related