Trouble connecting to PC

I have a Smartfade 24/96 and have used it for quite a few shows.  Each time, I've been able to connect it to my laptop for the purposes of helping in the programming phase.  This time, however, I cannot get the console to connect to the Smartsoft Software.

Here's what I've tried and what has happened:  (I should note that I'm running vista.)

When I first connect the console to the laptop, the data pipeline is established (as per the system device manager).  When I start the software, the initial splash screen where you choose the console to emulate does NOT appear but instead defaults to the small console.  The console still shows "offline".

When I start the software first (to choose the console to emulate) and then plug in console, the pipeline is established but the software still shows the console offline.

I downloaded the new version of the software and firmware.  I was able to load the new firmware onto the console, but the same things happened when I tried to connect the console to the new software.

I changed cables (thereby eliminiating a cable issue).  I've deleted the driver and reinstalled several times.

I'm able to still program the show without the computer.  The computer just makes things easier.  As far as I know, absolutely nothing has changed from the last time I connected this computer to the console and now.

Any suggestions are most welcomed and appreciated.

Mike

[edited by: MichaelBrown at 2:10 PM (GMT -6) on Fri, Jul 16 2010]
Parents
  • In order to connect SmartSoft to the console, you need a few things:

1. The console must be running the version that is compatible with that version of SmartSoft.
      • The "DLL version" in SmartSoft is the version number of SmartFade firmware for reference.
      • Look in "..\SmartSoft\Firmware Updates" for the firmware files.
    2. The console must be connected and recognised by Windows/Mac before starting SmartSoft.
    3. Windows/Mac must be using the correct driver.
      • Windows will generally get this wrong, you have to manually select the driver.
      • The driver is in \SmartSoft\Drivers

Unfortunately 64-bit Windows is not currently supported - we hope to release a 64-bit driver later this year.

The most common problem is Windows deciding to use the Microsoft generic USB driver instead of the ETC Smartfade driver.
    - I have seen Windows XP do this apparently at random, requiring you to re-install the driver.

To reinstall the USB driver under Windows:
    - Note that simply deleting the driver won't help, as Windows will just grab the wrong one again next time.

1. Connect the SmartFade
      • If you get a "New Device Found" dialog, skip to Step 5
    2. Open Device Manager
    3. Right-Click the "USB High Speed Pipe" or the "Unknown USB Device" that is the SmartFade
    4. Choose "Update Driver"
    5. Select "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install"
    6. Click the Browse button and browse to \SmartSoft\Drivers
    7. Click Ok, and confirm the driver choice.

That should solve it.

- If not, give ETC Technical Services a call - contact details here.

• In order to connect SmartSoft to the console, you need a few things:

1. The console must be running the version that is compatible with that version of SmartSoft.
      • The "DLL version" in SmartSoft is the version number of SmartFade firmware for reference.
      • Look in "..\SmartSoft\Firmware Updates" for the firmware files.
    2. The console must be connected and recognised by Windows/Mac before starting SmartSoft.
    3. Windows/Mac must be using the correct driver.
      • Windows will generally get this wrong, you have to manually select the driver.
      • The driver is in \SmartSoft\Drivers

Unfortunately 64-bit Windows is not currently supported - we hope to release a 64-bit driver later this year.

The most common problem is Windows deciding to use the Microsoft generic USB driver instead of the ETC Smartfade driver.
    - I have seen Windows XP do this apparently at random, requiring you to re-install the driver.

To reinstall the USB driver under Windows:
    - Note that simply deleting the driver won't help, as Windows will just grab the wrong one again next time.

1. Connect the SmartFade
      • If you get a "New Device Found" dialog, skip to Step 5
    2. Open Device Manager
    3. Right-Click the "USB High Speed Pipe" or the "Unknown USB Device" that is the SmartFade
    4. Choose "Update Driver"
    5. Select "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install"
    6. Click the Browse button and browse to \SmartSoft\Drivers
    7. Click Ok, and confirm the driver choice.

That should solve it.

- If not, give ETC Technical Services a call - contact details here.

Children
Related