HELP WITH EMULATOR??

Been oferded good deal??? on 4x emulators + controller for low dollars.
No lamps in light units & no idea what model controler is.No idea what there worth.(lamps or the lights):confused:
Can anyone give me a basic run down on what these things are capable of?
Can put some pics on msn if need bee. Offer closes Sunday.ANY HELP APPRECIATED.:rtfm:cANT FIND MUCH INFO SO FAR BUT KEEP LOOKIN.Thanx:Eyecrazy:
  • With 3 Amps at 230 Volts you are right, but there is a sort of high power mode where it takes 4 amps, as written in previus post.
    the lamp looks like an ordinary xenon lamp. the only differenc is that it is short arc style.
    Is there anybody from hes who can tell us the truth?????

best regards Roman
  • [quote=monotonsystem]Hi there

i am running 4 emulators in germany. i bought them used in a bad condition, but after some work and some deals from ebay, i got almost every part i needed to bring them back to life. However, the expensive Original lamp from Highend sells for about 350$ each. So i looked for an equivalent lamp from other manufacturers all over the internet. It took long time to find something useful, but here it is: I got them at Atlas Specialty Lighting, Hileah, Florida. The bulb is called XM150-13HS and sells for about 200$ . Nowadays, same bulb is selling at ebay for 193,00$. Some specs of the lamp can be found at the website from Atlas, provided in a pdf document: www.asltg2.com/ORC/page3xe.pdf
    When I ran the first 2 lamps, one shattered after running maybe 10 hours in the night club. After short communication with Atlas Lighting, I got an new one for free. Nevertheless, the exploding lamp killed its reflector and lens. It was luck to get some old spare party from an german Highend dealer. After running these 2 lamps for about 100 hours, another one shattered in the same way. So now i dont know why, but i suppose there must be something wrong with these lamps, though they fit the specs of the original one perfectly. Anyone an Idea? Suggestion and discusion will be welcome. Regards, Hans

Don't use these!! Not only will they explode, but they will cause your lamp capacitors to fail prematurely as well.

Knock-offs are exactly that....no substitute for the real thing.
  • [quote=Marty Postma]Don't use these!! Not only will they explode, but they will cause your lamp capacitors to fail prematurely as well.

Knock-offs are exactly that....no substitute for the real thing.

Great advice! I got a "history of Emulator lamps" from Don@lightparts, and the moral of the story is, use only the original HOL-1000 made by A.R.C. (available from Lightparts).

There are cheaper substitutes, but Don said they are responsible for most of the reflectors they sell. Last time I had to replace a reflector, it was $75. Condensor lense (also a common lamp explosion victim) was over $100 (IIRC). Add that to the 'bargain' lamp price, and it's no longer a bargain (not to mention the time the instrument is out of service waiting for replacement parts.)
  • A few days ago, I won an auction with 2 new orginal HOLL-1000 bulbs and a new motor board :) ... Does anyone have recommandations about lamp high mode? i never used it to protect my lamps.
    The lamp adjustment is described by using some kind of photometer, if i remember that correctly. Does it make sense ? I adjusted them by comparing my emulators so far...
    I still have an fifth emulator, which is working well, but fails to strike the lamp. I interchanged the cap, lamp, and board (brand new) with other emulators, and all parts are working in the other ones, including the lamp. the defective one tries several times to strike, and sometimes it works and then the emulator runs well. but mostly it fails.
    :confused: hans
  • NOTE;
    The emu has a special part the senses the hours on a lamp!. If the lamps is way too old or has too many hours it reads the voltage it's using to jump the arc on the electrodes. If you have a lamps, keep track of the hours. At a point it will become difficult to get them to arc. This is when you swap lamps. Keep dogging them and they may explode.www.emoticons.free.fr/smileys/Emotion-Scare/scare2.gif This will not be pretty. Nasty stuff will be emitted into your shop and the hot glass will spew into your fixture and all over you.:nono: Severe burns are the norm.
    Your unit is now contaminated with vaporised Mercury. You have hot glass in your face and eyes and your day is really starting to suck.
    If the boss says keep using and striking the lamps he is an idiot.
    Thank goodness the circuit in control will finally get to a point that it just wont work.

Optimizing is a tricky thing. It takes time to learn. you'll have x, y and z to deal with. Enjoy!www.emoticons.free.fr/smileys/Emotion-Wink/winkglasses.gif
  • Here is a pretty good deal on the bulbs for the Emulators I found. Not sure if anyone posted this yet but I hope this helps

Hope the link works below if not let me know and I will see what I can do.

Scott

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330193255785&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=330193255768&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget
  • You couldn't pay me enough to put a lamp off of Ebay into one of my fixtures, Much less an ebay Xenon, into an emulator...

In looking at the other auctions, most of that vendors lamps tend to be GE, which tend to have "non-passive" failure at end of life..
    And I really hate replacing dichroics, just to save a buck on the lamp....

Thanks, but NO thanks...

Joshua Wood
  • [quote=DJScottC]Here is a pretty good deal on the bulbs for the Emulators I found. Not sure if anyone posted this yet but I hope this helps

Hope the link works below if not let me know and I will see what I can do.

Scott

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330193255785&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=330193255768&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

Yeah......I'd stay way far away from these things if I were you.:eek:

Best thing to do is call LightParts!!:D
  • I was thinking about buying the Dataflash bulbs off of there> Is that not a good idea either???

Scott
Related