Cyberlight Power

Hey Everybody,
I recently gotten a few used cyberlights, I've used cybers before, but i've never been responsible for actually connecting power. So..

being a novice (but one who catches on quickly) i want to make sure i power my cybers correctly to test them, and eventually use them.

I was reading the manual, i see i can choose what power i want to use by moving the voltage wire within the fixture, my question is, the manual states i can use 208v (which i assume means i need 3phase), or i can use 230v.

In this venue i only have access to single (split) phase, so 240v. Is that the same as 230v? if i power the cybers with single phase 240v will i be safe, as long as i have the power connected correctly in the fixture..

Thanks much!
Parents
  • A little clarification on three phase power: Three phase 120/240 Delta has the high leg, not Wye. In a 120/208 Wye (or just 'Y') system, all line to neutral (or ground) voltages will be 120, and phase to phase will be 208.
    A 120/240 Delta system will give you 2 legs of 120, and the third 208, all when tied to ground. Line to Line in a Delta system will be 240v no matter which phase to phase combination you use.
    It will not make a difference what two legs you connect a 240v fixture (like the cyberlight) in a delta system. It will make a big difference with 120v circuits. You can only use the (typically) blue and black legs to ground or neutral to get 120v. The third red high leg can only used for 240v phase-phase circuits (cyberlights) or 3 phase gear (usually motors). You wouldn't normally wire the high leg to ground as a circuit to get 208, as all single phase 240v circuits are wired phase, phase, ground. 120v circuits are phase, neutral, ground.

[QUOTE=TimMiller] In three phase weither its delta or wie you will have three legs of 120 or two legs of 120 and a leg of 208. BE SURE THAT SOME GOOBER ELECTRICIAN DOES NOT SEND A SINGLE LEG OF 208 TO THE LIGHT I'VE SEEN IT HAPPEN. Now if you have three legs of 120 than leg to leg you will see 208 V. b/c of the phaseing shown by this little math formula 1.73 x 120 = 208. Now in Y if you come off of the two 120 legs (ignoring the middle "wild leg" of 208) you will get 240.
    You do not have a neutral.
  • A little clarification on three phase power: Three phase 120/240 Delta has the high leg, not Wye. In a 120/208 Wye (or just 'Y') system, all line to neutral (or ground) voltages will be 120, and phase to phase will be 208.
    A 120/240 Delta system will give you 2 legs of 120, and the third 208, all when tied to ground. Line to Line in a Delta system will be 240v no matter which phase to phase combination you use.
    It will not make a difference what two legs you connect a 240v fixture (like the cyberlight) in a delta system. It will make a big difference with 120v circuits. You can only use the (typically) blue and black legs to ground or neutral to get 120v. The third red high leg can only used for 240v phase-phase circuits (cyberlights) or 3 phase gear (usually motors). You wouldn't normally wire the high leg to ground as a circuit to get 208, as all single phase 240v circuits are wired phase, phase, ground. 120v circuits are phase, neutral, ground.

[QUOTE=TimMiller] In three phase weither its delta or wie you will have three legs of 120 or two legs of 120 and a leg of 208. BE SURE THAT SOME GOOBER ELECTRICIAN DOES NOT SEND A SINGLE LEG OF 208 TO THE LIGHT I'VE SEEN IT HAPPEN. Now if you have three legs of 120 than leg to leg you will see 208 V. b/c of the phaseing shown by this little math formula 1.73 x 120 = 208. Now in Y if you come off of the two 120 legs (ignoring the middle "wild leg" of 208) you will get 240.
    You do not have a neutral.
Children
No Data
Related