Cyberlights on 110V?

Hello all
I'm currently working on building up a good set of equipment for my attempt at lighting design. After reviewing many options for used equipment (And my parents demanding for me to buy American made) I've recently discovered the Cyberlight classic as a good choice. However, this brings up my nightmare, in that Cyberlight classics do not support 110V, which I will primarily be dealing with. This also applies to various other lights too, from various manufacturers.

I am curious if anyone knows of any way to get Cyberlights to work on 110V, even though they do not naturally support it. Preferrably, an easy, simplistic way, that won't cost more than the lights themselves to do. I've already looked all through the manual for the Cyberlights, and I understand about their 208/240V Support. So, is there any way to do this that is not unnaturally dangerous, or overly skilled/expensive?

Also, I'm quite curious if anyone knows why the Cyberlights and certain other fixtures from various manufacturers require 200+V, whereas other lights that use the same lamp and same features do not. I'm just curious on that.

Please do let me know! I am really hoping to be able to use High End systems equipment in time, but this nasty roadblock popped up and I must find a way around it to do so.

-C
Parents
  • [QUOTE=Ccw_Rnz;53791]Sounds worth a shot... Can you recommend some to me, that will do 110V Stepping up to 208, and 220V for stuff like Cyberlights and other lights? Preferrably one that can support around say, 6 fixtures on it?
    I'm not very confident in my own ability to find the right one myself, I'm not very good with many electrical terms heh. If I can get a hold of some nice, heavy duty high capacity ones, that would open the possibilities i can pursue equipment wise very greatly!

Please let me know a few to go for if possible!
    thanks
    -C

The couple of times I have had to do it, I used 2400 VA international voltage conversion transformers - in a case, all you need to do is plug in, and perhaps change the output connector. Considering that this is roughly 2x the draw of a Cyber, the chance of a failure, despite the fearmongers here, is minimal at best. The Cyber would be setup for 240 volts, not 208, for input of 110 . . .

Not that I love doing it, but I have been forced a couple of times to run my Studio Colors this way, and run 2x per transformer. 5 years and zero issues . . . after all, the last thing in the service coming to you is a transformer, and Cybers, despite being 208 volt capable fixtures, are *NOT* three phase - they take *one* phase of a 208 (or any other compatible voltage). Also, considering that a 15A outlet will supply 1800 watts, the 1200 watt lamp, ballast losses, and motor current should run comfortably within a 15A circuit, unless the breaker is soft, and the strike surge takes it out . . .

- Tim
  • [QUOTE=Ccw_Rnz;53791]Sounds worth a shot... Can you recommend some to me, that will do 110V Stepping up to 208, and 220V for stuff like Cyberlights and other lights? Preferrably one that can support around say, 6 fixtures on it?
    I'm not very confident in my own ability to find the right one myself, I'm not very good with many electrical terms heh. If I can get a hold of some nice, heavy duty high capacity ones, that would open the possibilities i can pursue equipment wise very greatly!

Please let me know a few to go for if possible!
    thanks
    -C

The couple of times I have had to do it, I used 2400 VA international voltage conversion transformers - in a case, all you need to do is plug in, and perhaps change the output connector. Considering that this is roughly 2x the draw of a Cyber, the chance of a failure, despite the fearmongers here, is minimal at best. The Cyber would be setup for 240 volts, not 208, for input of 110 . . .

Not that I love doing it, but I have been forced a couple of times to run my Studio Colors this way, and run 2x per transformer. 5 years and zero issues . . . after all, the last thing in the service coming to you is a transformer, and Cybers, despite being 208 volt capable fixtures, are *NOT* three phase - they take *one* phase of a 208 (or any other compatible voltage). Also, considering that a 15A outlet will supply 1800 watts, the 1200 watt lamp, ballast losses, and motor current should run comfortably within a 15A circuit, unless the breaker is soft, and the strike surge takes it out . . .

- Tim
Children
No Data
Related