Cyberlights on 110V?

Hello all
I'm currently working on building up a good set of equipment for my attempt at lighting design. After reviewing many options for used equipment (And my parents demanding for me to buy American made) I've recently discovered the Cyberlight classic as a good choice. However, this brings up my nightmare, in that Cyberlight classics do not support 110V, which I will primarily be dealing with. This also applies to various other lights too, from various manufacturers.

I am curious if anyone knows of any way to get Cyberlights to work on 110V, even though they do not naturally support it. Preferrably, an easy, simplistic way, that won't cost more than the lights themselves to do. I've already looked all through the manual for the Cyberlights, and I understand about their 208/240V Support. So, is there any way to do this that is not unnaturally dangerous, or overly skilled/expensive?

Also, I'm quite curious if anyone knows why the Cyberlights and certain other fixtures from various manufacturers require 200+V, whereas other lights that use the same lamp and same features do not. I'm just curious on that.

Please do let me know! I am really hoping to be able to use High End systems equipment in time, but this nasty roadblock popped up and I must find a way around it to do so.

-C
Parents
  • [QUOTE=Ccw_Rnz;53840]
    Well, I may as well say then. I currently have 10 Roboscan 1220's coming in as we speak, each of those is 1200W

I saw a Robo 1220 running at 120v nearly melt the circuit feeding it about 10 years ago. I was checking something else inside a dimmer cabinet and happened to put my hand near the wire that went into the raceway to the 1220. It was so hot I couldn't touch it.

[QUOTE=Ccw_Rnz;53840]
    I am also considering bringing in PAL 1200's for their Framing shutters and CMY mixing, but a measly 4 gobos. Those too are 1200W and have a 110V option.

Ask on the Light Network about the PAL 1200 before you buy any. That have a...reputation.

[QUOTE=Ccw_Rnz;53840]
    So this leaves me with the question why it is that Cyberlights seem to be the only HES lights that require 208/230?

For years it was the only 1200 watt fixture in the HES line. When Studio Command 1200 came along, it also was 208 only.

Cyber, Cyber 2, Showgun, and Shobeam all require 208 too.

It's a matter of where you draw the line between 120 and 208 volt operation. Most fixtures up to 1000 watts can run on 120. Most fixtures 1500 watt and above require 208. 1200 watt is a wildcard, and it depends on who designed the fixture and their priorities.
  • [QUOTE=Ccw_Rnz;53840]
    Well, I may as well say then. I currently have 10 Roboscan 1220's coming in as we speak, each of those is 1200W

I saw a Robo 1220 running at 120v nearly melt the circuit feeding it about 10 years ago. I was checking something else inside a dimmer cabinet and happened to put my hand near the wire that went into the raceway to the 1220. It was so hot I couldn't touch it.

[QUOTE=Ccw_Rnz;53840]
    I am also considering bringing in PAL 1200's for their Framing shutters and CMY mixing, but a measly 4 gobos. Those too are 1200W and have a 110V option.

Ask on the Light Network about the PAL 1200 before you buy any. That have a...reputation.

[QUOTE=Ccw_Rnz;53840]
    So this leaves me with the question why it is that Cyberlights seem to be the only HES lights that require 208/230?

For years it was the only 1200 watt fixture in the HES line. When Studio Command 1200 came along, it also was 208 only.

Cyber, Cyber 2, Showgun, and Shobeam all require 208 too.

It's a matter of where you draw the line between 120 and 208 volt operation. Most fixtures up to 1000 watts can run on 120. Most fixtures 1500 watt and above require 208. 1200 watt is a wildcard, and it depends on who designed the fixture and their priorities.
Children
No Data
Related