Collage Overlapping & Image Size Calculations

Greetings. Just trying to do some image size / throw length calculations for some upcoming projects with DL.2 and I am wondering how much overlap you should allow for when using Collage Generator and figuring total image size?

I.e. We need to fill a 20' x 56' screen with a 2 x 3 array and I would like to keep the zoom as tight as possible for maximum brightness. So.....

1. How far away will we need to be with projectors?
2. What will the total image size be for that array?

What I am really looking for here is a formula or better yet a % of overlap that I can use for figuring Collage screen size in the future. Thanks!

Travis Slyter
Ruehling Associates, Inc.
  • Thanks for the info, that helps. So in our application we are simply doing a slide show beteen still photos on a 3 wide x 1 tall array. (We will have to double stack the array for maximum brightness, hence my question about 3 x 2.)

We will be at the most 2 layers simply to cross fade between photos. According to the chart that maximum image size is for HD movie files which we are not using. So I am assuming that our still files can probably be higher res and closer to the 1 million number (w x h). So the question becomes how close to 1 million can we go will still images and be fine? Thanks again for your patience and all this help.

Travis Slyter
  • Yes, for still files you should be able to go much larger. I don't have any specific numbers as most of our testing tends to concentrate on movie clips which is more challenging.

I just preload the image a cue before if it is really large if you are seeing any delay in loading due to the size. With the higher resolution movie clips we highly reccommend pre-loading them the cue before in the "Stop and Rewind" mode so the clip is sitting at frame 1 ready to play in all the units when you start it.
  • Travis,

We've updated the content page with recommended sizes for the other Collage configurations.

www.highend.com/support/digital_lighting/dl2supportguide/Collage-generator/dl2-collage-arrays.asp
  • Scott,

Here is our scenerio. We are doing 3 x 1 array to recreate murals that are usually painted on a cyc. We are doing no moving video just still images with some dissolves in between. We are trying to crop and resize the photos to fit our projection aspect ratio as close as possible so the images will fill the screen. Our ultimate goal for image size is to get as close to pixel per pixel as possible to minimize distortion from stretching and zooming. Normally that would be 1024 x 768 for each projector.

Your size charts are based on HD video not still photos and of course they are lower res per projector than 1024 x 768, plus I know for total image size you have to subtract 9% per edge. Doing that the total image size would be 2703 x 768. Unfortunately we don't have 3 units to test at the moment.

My question is can we go the full 2703 x 768 image size so that image is close to pixel by pixel or is that too much data crunching? We can load the next image as early as we need to as we have a lot of time in between images to improve playback performance. If not what is the max resoultion that we can go? If we need to make it smaller, I am assuming the DL-2s will stretch the image to fill the screen so it's important that we keep the aspect ratio the same to minizise distortion. Correct? Thanks.

Travis Slyter
  • Since you are doing still images I think that would work. If you want to get some files made in that resolution I'd be happy to test them for you here in the fixtures.

The DL.2 is always in a 4:3 aspect ratio since that is a limitation of the projector.
  • Scott I have some images to test, please let me know where to send them. Thanks.

Travis Slyter
  • You can send them to me here:

ftp.highend.com/upload/

Just select me as the person to mail them to when you upload them.