Source Four HID PAR start-up time

I am considering a purchase of Source Four HID PAR's to use as on-stage work light.  They would be on a switched circuit.  I have three questions:

1. What is the cold start-up time for the HID PAR .
  2. What is the hot re-strike time for the HID PAR.
  3. Is it likely the HID PAR can cause the stage curtains to fade.  The reason for this question is that we have had flourescent fixtures as work light in a couple of rooms on our campus and this seemed to have caused the curtains to fade.  It may have been unrelated but seemed to be the culprit.

Also, do you have any better suggestions as to what kind of fixture I might use for this purpose.

Thanks,

Steve Martin

Parents
  • Steve,

The cold start time is 2-3 minutes or so to get to full intensity.

The unit is non-hot restrike which means a 15-20 minute cool down period before restarting

S4 HID's get used in a lot of museum applications and should not cause any curtain fading but I'd think fluorescent should not either. If they are 'onstage' which curtains are they fading? The borders?

I would think that an HID is not the best choice for a day-to-day work light unless you were going to supplement it with something else. HID is great if you are going to turn them on and leave them on for long periods of time but it does depend on your application.

Let's see what some others have to say about this J 

• Acceptable voltage is 120V (+/- 10%) 50/60HZ only
    • Operating current of 1.5 Amps
    • Inrush current of <14 Amps
    • Room ambient temperature should not exceed 104ºF (40ºC)
    • Lamp ignition voltage is 4.5Kv, non-hot restrike.
    • Ballast case temperature should not exceed 167ºF (75ºC)

Mike Meskill

• Mike,

Thanks for your response.

Are your reservations due to the start and re-start times or are there issues beyond this?

So you will know, my reasons for choosing this fixture were:

1. Low power consumption since the fixtures would be on for long periods of time.
    2. The footcandle output was higher than other fixures that use the same lamp.
    3. All the fixtures would be using the same lamp.
    4. To have fixtures that were rugged enough to be in a fly system without concern from flown items on nearby battens bumping them and causing them damage.  The former worklights were 4' flourescent fixtures without any guard on them which always made us very nervous that they would get bumped.
    5. The lens options would allow me to use a common fixture for all purposes.  They would enable me to have the offstage fixtures high enough they would never be in the way of scenery coming off by using the MFL len.  They would also enable me to flood the stage using the XWFL lens.
    6. Their being attached via a C-clamp would allow for ease of mobility if they were blocked by scenery.

Regarding the curtains, the biggest problem has been with a mirrored dance type classroom which is lit entirely with flourescent light.  It has black legs (roughly 15' tall)  on tracks that cover the mirrors when not needed.  The curtains most often stay in a bunched position (exposing the mirrors).  On the part of the curtain where the fullness is pushed outward it is faded a rusty sort of color.  The part that is bunched inward, thus covered, is still black.  The fading is more pronounced toward the top.  Looking at it I can't think of anything else that might be the cause.  I am pondering whether it might be a reaction of the flame-proofing to the flourescent.  Sounds like a question for the curtain manufacturers though.

Thanks for helping me with this,

Steve

•  Steve,

Yes, my reservations were over the restart time. But depending on how you use your work lights you might be just fine J

The curtain fading seems odd....maybe lower quality.... but I know very little about 'soft goods'

Reply Children
No Data
Related