Lustr 2 vs Colorsource Spot questions round 2

Hi again.

More time to type today.

So between the Colorsource and the Lustr series 2, which I had in my venue for a couple of hours, I've got some remaining questions that the sales tech couldn't answer.

**Both units have a great hard edge. sometimes softening the focus is a little hit or miss as compared to an incandescent, but some R132 should help that.  we were shooting with a 19deg barrel.

**The low end dimming is great, and the units don't WINK out.  Good job ETC

**The Coloursource has a much cooler white light when at full, (but the Lustr2 was only in 1 profile, adn I didn't get a chance to play with the other settings). 

1) he didn't have the Soft Focus Diffuser.  While that works with gobos (I'm told), will it remove the colour shadows you get (where you can see a green shadow edge, and a blue shadow edge, and a red shadow edge, all from the same person and lamp?

2) It was a demo console being used, so I didn't get too deep into it to make set-up changes.  Do the Lustr 2 and/or the Colorsource cut to different colours in Time 0?  or do they always fade?

3) teh Colorsource doesn't terminate the DMX run, and so it needs terminators.  Is the Lustr Self Terminating?

4) There are different profiles/personalities for the Lustr 2.  Are there different profiles for the Colorsource?

5) I can set it up so I can control the fan on the Luster (Y/N)?

(I've patched a dummy Lustr on the console, in a random profile (RGBStr Fan +7), and can see a fan control, but without testing each profile (and SOOO many profiles), I'm not clear on what is capable with each profile.

5.1) Can I set up teh Colorsource the same, so I have control of the fan, or is the fan ALWAYS controlled by the lamp itself, and will run up or down as required?

6) the CRI for the Lustr 2 is either 86/90 (depending on what you set it at).  what's the CRI for the Coloursource?

7) are the units "flicker-free" for filming?

8) max lumin output for the lustr is 5800.  what is it for the Coloursource?

9) I can't find the User Manual for the Coloursource on the ETC website.  Just teh quick guide and installation guide.

10) Does a regular barn door fit on a colour source par?

11) does a regular barn door fit on a fresnel adaptor for the Lustr or Coloursource?

11.5)  what is the frame size for the fresnel adaptors?

12) (Running Ion 2.3.1) how can I determine which colours are not possible by using the software?  I can see the IEC triangle, and the Visible spectrum cone.

13) I won't be buying the EDLT lenses, but using the regular lenses.  However, how bad are the regular 50deg lenses compared to the LED 50deg lenses?  (or, do I REALLY need to purchase some specific 50deg lenses for the LED units?)

Thanks to those who take the time to answer.  I've read a bunch of the documents on line, but I haven't found all the answers yet.

Andrew

Parents
  • Hi Andrew,

Here are the answers to your questions hopefully its everything you need if not let me know

1) Yes the soft focus diffuser will help clear up this problem if you have no gobo and put the fixture into a soft focus. 

2) The fade you are seeing is probably the setup within the fixture. The curve in the Lustr 2 can be changed so it may have been in a curve to mimic tungsten so will fade when you expect it to snap even if the desk is set to 0 time.

3) The Lustr is self-Terminating

4) No the colour Source only has 1 profile (Intensity/Red/Green/Blue/Strobe)

5) The Fan control is optional so which ever mode you set the fixture up in this can be changed (Auto/Low/High/DMX) Auto will turn the fan on when its required otherwise it will be off, Low and High will keep the fan at a constant speed, and DMX will allow you to control from the desk. 

On the console you will see lots of modes some with Fan some without for depending on if you have the fan setting on DMX or not. The strobe can also be toggled to DMX control or OFF.

5.1) The Fan is always control by the fixture and will adjust as required.

6) I am finding this out and will follow up.

7) The Lustr’s frequency can be adjusted between 920Hz and 1500Hz then it can be set to 25000Hz for Camera if required. The Colour Source can be set to 1200 or 25000Hz

8) The Lumens will depend on the lens on the unit but all the values can be found on this PDF - http://www.etcconnect.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737481553

9) The Installation Guide has all the information there is about how to setup the fixture.

10) The 190mm barndoors from the source 4 fresnel will fit this fixture but it probably wont work as well as you hope as there is still 7 sources from the front of the fixture so you might get some extra shadows.

11) The 190mm barndoors from the source 4 fresnel will fit the Fresnel adaptor and will work just like a normal Fresnel bardoor.

11.5) 190mm

12) The only mode which the console will show you its colour range is in direct mode as it doesn’t use the calibration data within the fixture. All the other modes use the calibration within the fixtures so they will mix the colour you select depending on what it knows it can achieve when it left the factory. (This might mean each fixture makes the same colour with a slightly different mix of LEDs

13) You will only notice the standard 50 degree lenses if you have them completely open and slightly out of focus. If you have a Gobo or all the shutters in slightly you will not notice a difference.

Hope this answers most of your questions.

Tom

• Thanks very much for the detailed reply. I appreciate the time you put into it.

Andrew
Reply Children
No Data
Related