Need help replacing reflector

I have a reflector on a source 4 elipsoidal with a big ole crack in it and need to change it out. I however have not found any documentation to help with the process. I would greatly appreciate any help here.

Parents
  • I've replaced many reflectors in my time (we had a run of them turn to pixie dust).  Never had to drill or bang anything. 

Use a screwdriver to pop out the steel spring at the rear opening for the lamp.  After that is out, you should be able to flip the rear housing over and again carefully with a screwdriver (or a hard plastic prying device like Apple uses to pop Mac Mini Cases) and gloves pry the retaining clips on one side away from the reflector.  It will then tilt to one side and slide out.  To insert, just put the reflector in at an angle, center the spring around the lamp hole with a gloved finger and turn it as you insert until the forward retaining rings "click."  The hardest part of this operation is getting the spring centered around the back.  But you get better with time.

• I've replaced many reflectors in my time (we had a run of them turn to pixie dust).  Never had to drill or bang anything. 

Use a screwdriver to pop out the steel spring at the rear opening for the lamp.  After that is out, you should be able to flip the rear housing over and again carefully with a screwdriver (or a hard plastic prying device like Apple uses to pop Mac Mini Cases) and gloves pry the retaining clips on one side away from the reflector.  It will then tilt to one side and slide out.  To insert, just put the reflector in at an angle, center the spring around the lamp hole with a gloved finger and turn it as you insert until the forward retaining rings "click."  The hardest part of this operation is getting the spring centered around the back.  But you get better with time.

Children
  • Derek is on the right track. This is the process I have used for many years. In fact, in-house at ETC we had a custom tool for holding back the retaining clips while removing the reflector. I have seen theatres with various versions of a “S4 reflector removal tool” :-)…I do not think it is something you can buy…sorry

I would highly recommend that you get a new round ‘spring thing’ as reusing the old one can be problematic but not impossible.

What Derek wrote about putting the lens back in is spot on. This is the same as the ETC manufacturing process for installing the reflector. I would know as I once spent 4 days installing reflectors into S4.

Good luck,

Mike Meskill

European Service Manager, ETC

Related