Need help replacing reflector

I have a reflector on a source 4 elipsoidal with a big ole crack in it and need to change it out. I however have not found any documentation to help with the process. I would greatly appreciate any help here.

• You will need to drill out the rivets on each of the 4 reflector brackets to remove the brackets.  You may only need to remove 2 brackets to get the old reflector out.  Then re-install the brackets you removed with new rivets.  Then the new reflector will slide into and snap into place in the brackets.  make sure you keep the little silver ring that is on the old reflector and put it on the new reflector. 

• I've used two other methods which don't require me to remove the rivets, but they have the potentially  to create flying glass shards, so use either of these methods while wearing appropriate personal protective equipment.

Remove the reflector houseing from the barrel and shutter assembly so you can see the entire reflector.

On a hard surface, preferably with a carpet betwen the fixture and the surface, firmly bang the reflector assembly down on the surface so the reflector may pop out of the spring clips. Again, keep that silver ring so you can re-use it.  You may need to do this a couple of times to get it out.  If the reflector is cracked all the way through, it may fall into pieces.

If that doesn't work,  you can also take a hammer to the reflector, as the big ole crack makes it likely unusable anyway, so breaking it further won't make any difference.  Again I stress, wear all proper protective gear (long sleeve shirt, safety glasses or faceshield, gloves) so you don't get injured by any flying glass shards. 

Popping the new reflector should just be a matter of pressing firmly down equally on all four quadrants of the reflector until all the spring clips catch the edge of the reflector.  It is possible to get it in crooked, so take some care when reinstalling the new reflector, because you may have to try the same techniques or drill the rivets out if it gets stuck.

Good luck.

• ETC does have a Source 4 Assembly guide: http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/techdocs/S4_Assembly_Guide_UL_2006-01_revA.pdf

It gives more information on reflector replacement on pages 7 and 8.  It is also a good reference for part numbers when ordering replacement parts.

-Todd

• I've replaced many reflectors in my time (we had a run of them turn to pixie dust).  Never had to drill or bang anything. 

Use a screwdriver to pop out the steel spring at the rear opening for the lamp.  After that is out, you should be able to flip the rear housing over and again carefully with a screwdriver (or a hard plastic prying device like Apple uses to pop Mac Mini Cases) and gloves pry the retaining clips on one side away from the reflector.  It will then tilt to one side and slide out.  To insert, just put the reflector in at an angle, center the spring around the lamp hole with a gloved finger and turn it as you insert until the forward retaining rings "click."  The hardest part of this operation is getting the spring centered around the back.  But you get better with time.

• Derek is on the right track. This is the process I have used for many years. In fact, in-house at ETC we had a custom tool for holding back the retaining clips while removing the reflector. I have seen theatres with various versions of a “S4 reflector removal tool” :-)…I do not think it is something you can buy…sorry

I would highly recommend that you get a new round ‘spring thing’ as reusing the old one can be problematic but not impossible.

What Derek wrote about putting the lens back in is spot on. This is the same as the ETC manufacturing process for installing the reflector. I would know as I once spent 4 days installing reflectors into S4.

Good luck,

Mike Meskill

European Service Manager, ETC

• I know this is kinda reviving a dead thread, but I had to move a reflector from a busted body to a new one this week and came up with this nifty trick: I cut a pop can into strips about an inch wide, folded each strip in half, and placed a strip between each spring clip and the reflector. They reduced the resistance provided by the clips just enough that I could, with a bit of careful effort, push the reflector out without any banging or breaking.

Hope this helps anyone stumbling across this thread like I did.

• I followed the instructions in the S4_Assembly_Guide pdf on the etc web site, but with a twist.

Instead of the 'drop & pop' idea mentioned, I used a drill press & 8 saws-all blades. 

>I took a piece of high density foam & put it on the bed of the drill press, & cut a chunk the size to fit the opening at the back of the housing. 

>I then pressed & tapped a blade in from the back to release each of the spring claws from the edge of the reflector. 

>With all of the clips backed off of the glass rim, I then put the assembly on the drill press {with no bit, just the chuck & small foam piece}, and gently pushed the reflector out onto the the foam.

no crack, no muss, no fuss!  But as a precaution have something to keep glass flying into your eyes & skin.

• I stumbled onto this chat while doing research on how to successfully swap some reflectors without breaking them. Drlynn's soda can trick is the best solution! Thank you for posting, I changed 2 reflectors on my first time without any problems!

[edited by: rachelfae at 11:58 AM (GMT -6) on Thu, Jul 26 2012]
Related