ColorSource Spot flashing to full on no DMX

An odd thing happened today when I powered up the rig which I clearly didn't pay enough attention to at the time. The 12 ColourSource Spots on our upper circle rail all came on at level and stayed there until I had powered powered up the nodes that provide DMX to them. Rig check was fine, but we had a rehearsal this afternoon and on a number of occasions lamps randomly flashed up. When I investigated each of the units was showing P:01 on the displays, which are usually blank when powered up and receiving DMX. When I unplugged the DMX input to check settings with my DMXcat the lamps again went to level. I managed to reset the units by actively selecting preset 1 with UP > DOWN > MODE which change the behaviour so that they now go out when DMX is removed rather than flashing up. Presumably two problems at once, dodgy DMX, and some weird random mode change. I couldn't find any obvious signs of problems with the DMX runs, but power cycled the nodes and splitters just to be on the same side and wiggled all connections. Not enough time to run a fresh DMX today so that will go in tomorrow, but does anyone have any thoughts on why the spots might have powered up in this odd mode? Would it also not be better if loss of DMX left the unit in its current state?

tt2

Related