D60 Vivid DMX profiles

GYPSY PRODUCTIONS
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:53 PM 

I understand fan/strobe profiles but how do I decide between HSI, HSIC, RGB, +7, direct, or quick setups? Is there a white paper on this or something I’m missing in the manual?

Is the 30+ page booklet Selador Quality of Light/Objects of Desire available in PDF? Would love to be able to refer others to it but don’t want to part with my one and only hard copy.

We have 8 63” Vivid-R classics and 15 D60 vivids (although one failed this afternoon.)

corey @ ETC TS
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:15 PM 

Hi Gypsy

On our website, is the S4 LED / Desire v1.6.0 Version Manual:

http://www.etcconnect.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737460761

In there we explain the different DMX Profile possibilites.

Quick Rundown:

HSI = Allows Hue-Saturation-Intensity of controlling the fixture color

HSIC = Allows Hue-Saturation-Intensity-Color Temp - Allows the above, plus quickly changing color temperature of the white point.

RGB = mimics a 3x channel control of the fixture as if it only had 3x colors RGB - makes

it easier to control with maybe a simpler control desk.

+7 = allows you to after picking a color with HSI Mode, to then fine tune the 7 single

LED Colors, for instance, you big a blue with Hue+Saturation control, then say, I wish

it had just a little less green, well you can then with +7 option subtract the intensity

of the green LEDs out of that color.

Direct = the above profiles use a calibration so that between different fixtures, the same

colors can always be reached. Direct allows full control with no calibration of the seperate 7 LED Colors

- good for a smaller console and all 7 LEDs are put on seperate Faders to control.

Quick Setups are a specific set of DMX and LED settings. Once you pick you a Quick Setup, it

sets all the DMX and LED Settings in the fixture according to what is in the manual.

If you haven't updated your S4 LED or Desire fixtures to v1.6.0, you should at the next available possibilty,

- there are bunch of new features, and in some cases, you can get more light out of the fixture!

You can see which Firmware Version your Desire has by look in the About Fixture Menu in the display.

I hope that helps! Have fun!

Tom-MP
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 8:58 PM

Thanks for quick reply.

Key word in my question is "decide." I've followed difference between HSI and RGB watching movement on color wheel. But what are the circumstances that make one mode preferable to another? I have an Ion so not worried about limitations of a smaller board.

Richard34813
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:47 PM 

The short answer is to ask: What is important to you?

With an Ion, I prefer Direct so the console does all the color math. I can use the built in HSI, gel picker or mix it myself, cue by cue.

Direct will give the greatest range of colors and flexibility. Simple in concept but complex in use.
HSI is very simple to understand and some people just think that way. Adding color temp is great for photographers.
RGB is for limiting DMX addresses needed. Good on older consoles.
+7 is still a bit odd for me - maybe someone else can explain what/why
I'm sure there is more, but that's how I decide.

Related