Long throw efficacy of Color Source Spot (Deep Blue) Ellipsoidal

How do the Color Source Spot (Deep Blue) ellipsoidal stand up to the incandescent S4's in long throw installations?  Are they as bright?  I'm talking across a major street to a building facade. Thanks!

Parents
  • Hi HGLD1,

In the wonderful world of color mixing LEDs lumen output depends on what you are doing. Are you looking at using the units in open white or in saturated colors as your photo might suggest? In saturated colors your fixtures are going to far massively exceed a S4 Incandescent. In something like a Congo Blue you might get 15-20x the output. This is because we are talking about an additive (RGB-Lime) color mixing system versus a subtract color mixing system using gels in a S4 HPL. If you are using a ColorSource Spot in open white then the output becomes slightly below a S4. We however have dedicated fixtures that are specifically designed to mimic tungsten or daylight outputs. Check out Series 2 Tungsten HD or Daylight HD.

As for long distance throws it really it comes down to your lens tubes to insure that you maximize your lumen output. What is the max throw distance you estimate. Our 5 Degree lens go well up to 150 feet.
  • This is very helpful, Chris, thank you so much! I am using mostly 19's and 26's because I am covering a very large building, as you can see by the image. I appreciate your thoughts! Holly Gettings
  • Sounds great Holly. I'm glad it helped. But how far in distance are you looking to shoot from the location of the fixture to the building? You can use a 26 degree, but it's going to be a very large circle of light probably, but be a dim gobo or image past 30 or so feet. The answer to these solutions are usually narrow lens tubes and more fixtures if you want the images to be punchy.
  • The image above was made using incandescent 19's and 26's with spinners and custom templates. Going across 4 lanes of traffic and a deep lawn--I'd say 80-100 feet. But if what you say is correct, the colors should be even brighter with the same lens tubes. Yes?
Reply Children
Related