Hi

I'm intrested in buying some kind of media server - Axon / catalyst

Could anybody let me know the main difference between the two
pro's and con's of each system
What one can do that the other can't etc

cheers

K
  • Hi Tim,
    please post further questions should you need more info and please ingnore Mr.P or simon as his folks might have called him as he is not the average poster on this forum, i did reply to your question in the lightnetwork also,

Good luck

Regards Cormac
  • Heya Marty & Cormac, thanks for your posts. I know I've seen mapping engines that work with the soft-led curtains, and I was hoping there was a box for something similar. I have a gig coming up that I'd love to use my axons on, probably 150 or more of the JTE battens. I plan on giving the JTE folks a ring on Monday, but I'm soaked with a load-in and of course the gig just finalizsed friday morning about 2AM. bleh. Anyway, it would be extremely cool if I could do something other than solid color!!!!!

I'll be using the grandma - which does have LED mapping for gifs -- however the parameter count skyrockets and I'd rather have the extreme cool factor of the axons.

peace,

Tim O
  • Hi Tim,

The only standalone software I know of is Pixel-MAD, and that is now integrated into Catalyst v4. You may still be able to find stand-alone Pixel-MAD form AC lighting as they use it with the Chroma-Q Color Web system.

You will also need hardware to convert from the ArtNet output of the Pixel-MAD to the DMX required by your fixtures.

So the short answer is not with AXON. AXON is a great server, but will not do pixel-mapping.

In this particular case, you are much better off with Catalyst v4/Pixel-MAD. There are other servers out there that also have pixel-mapping in them, but they are not as easy to use or have the powerful feature-set of Catalyst.

You might be OK with the new "Lite" version even. Go to:
    www.samsc-pm.com
    for more info.

Hope this is helpful :)
  • Hi Marty, yes it's helpful. this is a bummer because I've spent quality time with our axons and my lil darlins are rarin to get busy.

many thanks,

Tim O
  • No problem Tim.

Yeah AXON is a very nice server. I love mine. Like anything else though it is a tool that is good for many tasks, but not all.
  • [quote=SourceChild]:friday:
    I would like to introduce everyone to the living Axon manual

Mr. Marty Postma.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

You're better than my computer Marty. :D

Can I pack you up and set you up on the table next to my console?

That way I can be lazy and never have to :rtfm:

Love ya man!

This is the reason I mentioned Marty in my thank you post in the H3 general discussion. I have read the HOG manual 3 times, when I start working with or buy an AXON I will read that also, but Marty seems to have swallowed the damnd thing! Well done!