16:9 Projector and Collage

I have a show comming up that will have 4 DL.2's on it. They are projecting onto two curved panels (two to each panel) that flank a flat center rear projected screen. Please see the image attached for clarification. The center screen will be using a fixed 16:9 Projector. I was wondering if I can use an Axon with the center projector and have the whole screen become a 5x1 collage. I know that there will be some funny blending issues where the DL.2 and the Rear Screen meet, but would this work? Thanks.

www.ruehlingassoc.com/situation.jpg
  • [quote=FxDrew]This mode doesn't actually flip the image over the horizontal or verticle axis. It's a mirror image of the source so when you look at it, it reads normally. They use this mode in classrooms with RP screens for power point presentations.

Exactly, so if you were to put your center projector into a "Rear" mode to try and match your DL.2s you will run into problems with things like text because it will be "mirrored" to be readable on the opposite side of the screen.

(If you have ever tried to navigate a projector's menu from behind an RP screen you will know exactly what I am talking about)

This same type of "mirroring" happens when you flip a media file around in DL.2 or AXON 180 degrees on the X or Y axis when using the default 3x4 rectagle object.....you are now looking through the object from the other side, and hence it appears to be "mirrored". Just as if you have walked around behind a projection screen to view it from the opposite side. (Note that you could also change your viewpoint in Global as well to move around behind the object and view it from the opposite side if you wanted to, but now your layer hierarchry will be reversed...1 will be the "front" most layer and 3 will be the "rear" most).
  • Not to confuse the issue further, but I mentioned rotating (or flipping) on the Z axis as well because your DL.2s look like they are hung from a truss, whereas your front projector appears to be sitting on ground support (balcony ledge perhaps?).

This could be easily overcome though by changing your projectors "ceiling" mode.

It's the same type of thing if you were to tilt your DL.2s in the wrong direction to a projection surface....the image will be upside down. But like I already mentioned if your projector has a "ceiling" mode you can easily reverse this.

Hope all of this is helpful to you.:)
  • Everyone has had lots of good information here so far.

One more important thing to note is that the Axon currently is locked to a resolution of 1024x768 so it will not natively fill a 16x9 raster.
  • Ok, I seem to have lost you all,
    It seems to me if you have a rear projection,
    and set the projector to rear mode,
    the image should be identical to a front projection.
    Right??
    same as setting a projector to ceiling mode...
    I don't see the conflict at all....

Where is the conflict you are describing coming from, both drew and I seem to be lost on this one...

My apologies if I am being dense...
    Joshua Wood
  • just got back from China... and I see what's going on... the fixed projector IS the REAR PROJECTOR. The Dl.2's are in the front! I thought that by saying "..a flat center rear projected screen. Please see the image attached for clarification. The center screen will be using a fixed 16:9 Projector." people would have gotten that the projector would be the rear-projector since it was projecting on to the "center rear-projector screen". I guess I could have clarified that better.
  • OK...makes more sense now...I was wondering why you would want to set the center screen to rear to be viewed from that side;)

The one thing I forgot to mention earlier is that you can set the DL.2s projector to "Ceiling" and/or "Rear" modes via CMA or from the menu to make this work from the "opposite" side as I originally thought.