CITP

I have a gen 1 Axon running 2.1.2 on the test bench. I have yet to get it to sync its custom content to the console (Hog 4 2.0). It shows up in the CITP screen when you hit patch media, and responds to control via artnet, so networking is good, but the refreshing icon in the media picker just spins and spins for hours. It eventually goes away, but the custom content never populates in the media picker. I know the media was loaded under 2.0.5 and earlier and 2.1.2 was installed later on.

Do I need to select the global fixture, a single media layer, all media layers, or all media and global before hitting update media? I think I've tried all those permutations with no success, I just want to make sure I'm doing it the right way.
  • Hog III, Hog 4. Axon will lock up at random mid show. Usually while sitting static playing a clip. I was emailing with Matt, he had stated that they (High End programmers) were chasing random freezes that existed since 2.1.0, but I stopped getting replies. I sent a showfile at one point with a cue that always produced a lockup between 1-24 hrs, but it was random. My SD SDI units tend to lock more than the 1st gen, but I can't swear to that with the random nature of the freezes.
  • Can you give me reproducible steps to creating the lockup that does not involve 1-24 hrs?

As far as CITP goes, there has only been one instance (that I anticipated) where I could not get CITP and a Hog 4 to transfer thumbnails. Can you give me an idea of the network the Axon and Hog reside on? Is it closed or open? Have you tried connecting the Axon directly to the console?

For a clean path to get CITP working :
    - Re-image the Axon with System Restore v3.5.1 with v2.0.4.2549 then upgrade to v2.1.2.2659
    - Re-image the Axon with System Restore v3.5.2 with v2.1.2.2659 then downgrade to v2.1.1.1636 then upgrade back v2.1.2.2659.

I have found some system level libraries missing from the v3.5.2 system restore image. These libraries are needed for CITP to work correctly. These libraries get installed in the upgrade packages from v2.1.0 to v2.1.2.

Note : A minute or two is needed after the graphics engine starts to write all pertinent registry data and CITP to start. Also, CITP only works in v2.1.0, v2.1.1 and v2.1.2 of Axon software.

Hope this solves your issues with CITP.
  • Can you give me reproducible steps to creating the lockup that does not involve 1-24 hrs?

Not really. As I said, it's random.

As far as CITP goes, there has only been one instance (that I anticipated) where I could not get CITP and a Hog 4 to transfer thumbnails. Can you give me an idea of the network the Axon and Hog reside on?

Hog 4, switch, axon. Or hog 4, router(no internet, just to give the axon an ip address), axon.

Is it closed or open?

Closed.

Have you tried connecting the Axon directly to the console?

Yes

For a clean path to get CITP working :
    - Re-image the Axon with System Restore v3.5.1 with v2.0.4.2549 then upgrade to v2.1.2.2659
    - Re-image the Axon with System Restore v3.5.2 with v2.1.2.2659 then downgrade to v2.1.1.1636 then upgrade back v2.1.2.2659.

I have found some system level libraries missing from the v3.5.2 system restore image. These libraries are needed for CITP to work correctly. These libraries get installed in the upgrade packages from v2.1.0 to v2.1.2.

Note : A minute or two is needed after the graphics engine starts to write all pertinent registry data and CITP to start. Also, CITP only works in v2.1.0, v2.1.1 and v2.1.2 of Axon software.

Hope this solves your issues with CITP.

Would upgrading from 2.0.5 to 2.1.2 install those packages? Because I have done that and still no go. I will try your install path once I get all relevant pieces of hardware in the shop.
  • Axon SDI running 2.0.5, upgraded to 2.1.1.2636. Hog 4 PC 2.2.0 going through a DP8000 also on 2.2.0. New show, patched 1 global, 9 graphic. Have control of axon via artnet. Media patched. Select layer 1 and refresh media. Media picker clears, stock content comes back within 5 seconds. Green arrows spinning away, but no custom content. Going on 10 minutes now.

Edit: now over an hour and no change
  • Is there a router involved in this scenario? Are you connecting directly from the console to the Axon?
  • Already answered this, but router, direct to console, or using a dumb switch all result in the same thing.
  • Can you post your FixtureNet settings when connecting the Axon to the Hog 4 directly? Also, can you verify that CITP is enabled on the Hog 4?
  • CITP Is enabled.

Ip address is typically 169.254.1.1
    Subnet 255.0.0.0
    Gateway 0.0.0.0
  • What IP address does the CMA on the Axon display in the bottom right hand corner? Does the Axon have 2 ethernet ports on the back of it or just one?

I am going to step through a configuration that I just finished setting up which worked.

I have just re-imaged my Axon SDI using "Axon_System_Restore_v3-5-3.iso". When the Axon came to life all I did was to change my DMX Settings to use :

Start Channel : 1
    Source : Art-Net
    Subnet : 0
    Universe : 0
    DMX Proto : v2 : 9

Next, I took a Cat5 cable and plugged one end of it into my Axon and the other end into the FixtureNet port on the back of my Hog 4. Then I restarted the Axon to allow it to auto-address. Once rebooted the IP address in the CMA of my Axon is showing 169.254.87.235.

Next I went to my Hog 4 and created a new show file. I patched (1) DL v2 Global and (9) DL v2 Graphic channels to DMX output 1. After patching I went in to my FixtureNet settings and set it to "Use static IP Settings" with IP Address : 169.254.87.2, Subnet Mask : 255.255.0.0, Gateway : 0.0.0.0, I then hit apply. Next I right clicked on the net number of the DMX Processor Settings and selected reset node. From here I then went into the Network Settings on the Hog 4 to verify my Art-Net outputs subnet and universe were the same that I was seeing in the CMA. Then I verified that CITP was enabled on the Hog 4. Next I verified that I had control of the Axon via Art-Net. Once control was established I then went into my patch window on the Hog 4 and selected all (10) channels and then selected "Patch Media" and selected the Axon server. Once the media server was patch I then pressed pig+open+beam and viewed the local thumbnails provided. Next I pressed the "Refresh Media" button in the patch window and watched the spinning arrow. To verify that it was indeed downloading the thumbnails I opened the log viewer by pressing pig+fan+open and 1. The log viewer reported back the progress of downloading each thumbnail in real time. Once all of the thumbnails downloaded the Media Picker refreshed with all of my available content and the spinning arrows stopped.

I hope this helps guide you to find the problem with your setup or your configuration. Please let me know your results.