Strobing .mov Flash File. Why?

The designer just sent me a .mov file that was converted from a Flash file. So it is a .mov w/ embedded Flash. It is 800x600 1.3MB - Under properties it shows a flash track with format "Flash."
Using Quicktime 7.1.3 - (with the Flash option turned on) the .mov plays fine when opened in Quicktime.
However, when selected and played (Play Loop Forward) in Catalyst 4.05_m50UB_HD the file stobes at approximately 24 flashes /second.
Any Ideas?
Not having that problem with other .mov files with a "video track" and photo JPEG compression.
Thanks,
Michael
PS. I also posted this in the Quicktime thread. Sorry for the duplication.
  • there are several things.

flash is turned off by default in recent updates to quicktime. possibly 7.1.3 - needs to be turned on in the system preferences/quicktime panel.
    this was due to security concerns by apple.

also which version of flash did you build your file?
    as quicktime very rarely works with recent flash file formats.
    if you do not know this - you will need to find out from whoever made the file.
    they will need to create a flash file that is compatible with quicktime.
  • Thanks for your suggestions.
    Yes, Quicktime has been turned on in the preferences panel. It took me a minute to find that particular feature. Before I had done so, the file would not play at all.
    I found a "solution."
    I opened the file with compressor and set it to PhotoJPEG-75% and re compressed the file.
    The strobing dissapeared in the new version.
    The movie is cartoonish graphics so I don't think the recompression introduced any undesirable artifacts in this case.
    I worry that something that was more detailed would be ugly after recompression.
    I am not sure which version of Flash the designer used. I'll check. I do knopw that the file passed through at least two Windows PCs on the way to the Mac. I wonder if the loss of the resource fork had anything to do with it?
    Thanks
    MKM
  • It turns out that the quicktime file had been set to start playing when opened. Setting Catalyst to "Play Loop Forward" caused the movie to display the In Frame every time Catalyst accessed the file. Setting the control to "Display the In Frame" caused the movie to play without strobing.
    Though I could find a way to turn off the Autostart feature in the file I could not find a way to make it stick. Sounds like I need an education in Quicktime.