Net2 two port touring node

I was given this node.  I have a Windows 7 laptop running NCE version 4.1.0.  I am trying to connect however of course I don't know what address has been assigned to the node.

The screen shows Pathway Loader v2.0.2 Bootp..Dynamic IP Forced.

Any suggestons?  To start I tried 24 ranges of 10.101.1.101 - 124 with no luck.

Also does it look like the software version of the node is older than NCE I am running?

• It sounds like the node is trying to download code. What you should do is :

- Set your PC to a typical ETC IP like 10.101.1.1

- Disable any other network cards

- Run NCE

- Go to Network and Select "Network Address Server"

- If all works correctly you should see "BootP server started" at the bottom right of the screen. If it shows "bootp server stopped", check your IP and firewall settings

Now the node should fire up, download code and pick up an IP address from your PC

• EDIT: Tom beat me to it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If the screen shows that, it means that it is stuck in its bootloader. NCE would be unable to communicate with it. The version number is a bootloader -- it isn't the node version number.

You'll want to get a BootP server (or in some cases of later software, a DHCP server) running on your computer, and then reboot the node. 

There is a BootP server built in to NCE -- go to Network, and then click Network Address Server. Look at the status bar on the bottom - it should say "bootp server started" once it is active.

If it does not, or it says "bootp server stopped", there are a few things to check. First, look at the IP address, subnet mask, and gateway for the computer. There needs to be a valid gateway in place in order for the BootP server to start - if it is blank, give it an IP of 10.101.1.1 (or something appropriate for your system, if it's in a different scheme). Second, run NICPicker, check the network card that your Net2 system is on, and then save with the given file name and location. Relaunch NCE and see what happens. 

If that doesn't seem to work (or you're fairly sure that the node is running close to the latest Net2 firmware), you can launch a DHCP server in GCE and then reboot the node. Version 4.1.4 of the two port firmware supports both DHCP and BootP protocols. 

If this doesn't work out, give phone support a call and we'll see if we can figure out what's going on. 800-688-4116.

Also, for what it's worth, the standard range for nodes is in the neighborhood of 10.101.50.101 and on up. The full table for our standard address scheme can be found here: http://community.etcconnect.com/wikis/products/knowledgebase-etc-network-ip-addresses.aspx

[edited by: Hans.Hinrichsen at 9:42 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, Jul 3 2013]
  • Update.

Tried all of the above including a couple of phone calls and so far all that has worked is directly using my ION.  Was able to get the Node working and that's great.  At least now I can use it however still don't know why my Windows 7 laptop will not work.  Perhaps the best bet is to use my ION for that Node and the church Element for their nodes?

Another question: can the Nodes be set to Not show the ip address on the lcd?

• have you used that laptop to configure a node through nce before? or could there be a firewall issue or something like that?

• There is a lot of history behind this.  Basically when I first attempted to install two Nodes at my church the same laptop (Windows 7) would not work and we had to use an xp laptop.  It still does not work.  Keeps showing status bootp server stopped when selecting Network Address Server.  Tried lots of things from post suggestions as well as ETC Tech support and nothing worked with that laptop.  Also the Node never showed wait to connect on the lcd, it always had something very different showing that appeared to indicate it was stuck in a boot state even after unplugging the network/poe and re-connecting for reboot.

It did take quite a while to finally connect and reveal the ip address when using my ION.  I haven't yet tried it again with my laptop just to see if it is ok now, but since the two Nodes at my church did not work I suspect it's the laptop and still wonder if it's a Windows 7 thing.  I am using AVG for protection and firewall.

Also wanting to know if there is a setting in NCE that hides the ip address on the Node screen.

• I have had issues with AVG protection and firewall connecting with many ETC devices that require IP addresses (both as a DHCP server using GCE/NCE, and as a DHCP client using ION offline.)

What I found is that no matter what you try to whitelist through AVG's firewall, it still blocks some communication between ETC devices.  I ended up just turning the AVG Firewall off whenever I needed to use my laptop to configure an ETC system.

I also have to do the same thing still, even though I've switched from AVG to ESET protection and firewall.  ESET has given me options to turn the firewall off for a fixed amount of time (10min, 30min, 4hrs,) or reactivate on next reboot.   I don't remember if that option was available in AVG.

Good luck.

• Thanks,

I will check that option out and post.

Related