only DMX - ACN !!!!

why?

why not convert artnet or RDM or any other protocall  to ACN when you need to with a net3 gateway?

sure would be nice to accomodate guest equipment without adding a third- party node device-

• I think mainly for simplicity and the fact that all current ETC network hardware speak NET3 (sACN/ACN).

Given the amount of different network protocols that exist i.e Artnet (V1,v2,v3), Shownet, Avabnet, ESPNet, Kinet, MANet, and many more. It would take a lot of testing and add a lot of complexity to the interface.

NET3 is based on the industry ratified standard of ACN and sACN. I think the question should be, why don't more manufacturers start supporting ACN? 

Marcus

P.S. NET3 gateways do support RDM.

• and I guess theat is My real statement here-

ONE standard comunication protocall-

just tired of troubleshooting compatability- " oh look, this only outputs  

Skandinavien net "

• standard (n.) - a banner carried in front of an army, a rallying point

This definition explains why conformity is unlikely in any industry. Standards will always have a competitive aspect.

• Which is the point of the sACN And ACN protocols.  A chance to standardize.  Unfortunately, not all the manufacturers are 100% on board.  Which is why we get the "only outputs Skandinavien.net".

There is no easy answer during the transition from all proprietary net protocols to sACN/ACN or whatever standard comes out in the future.   There are still sites I deal with that have DMX to AMX or DMX to K96 or DMX to AVAB converters still in use, as the site hasn't upgraded their dimmers yet.   It's been over 25 years since DMX was standardized, and I'm still using converters on projects, as it's still cheaper to convert rather than upgrade the racks (if possible) to take DMX or Net.  

I appreciate you are mostly venting, but I appreciate your comment all the same. 

[edited by: Holztech at 3:35 PM (GMT -6) on Tue, Nov 19 2013]
  • Relevent xkcd: http://xkcd.com/927/

Related