Can Net3 talk to Net2?

Hello all,

I know this has to be answered somewhere already but I can't find it.

My venue is currently running primarily on a Net2 System.  I believe my 4 port Gateway in FOH is going bad. We purchased a new one but of course we got a Net3 one not knowing they were no longer backwards compatible. Can I leave all the nodes that are running ETC Net2 and swap out the Gateway and still have everything work together, or do I need the Net2 nodes converted to Net3, to make it work. What about my CEM + Modules?  Do they need to be changed or software updated?

Thanks

Parents
  • Net3 and Net2 devices do not talk to each other, but many products can talk to both. What console are you using?

CEM + can receive both Net2 and Net3, but would need to be configured so that they are responding to the same addresses.

Was the bad gateway used for input or output?
  • Console is an Avo Lite. My FOH gateway is my primary input to my other nodes, that I change between Outout and Input as needed. I'll need to check my CEM's version.
  • Which particular Avolites console?

Most of the Avolites consoles natively speak sACN.
    - I believe that all the "Titan" family with an RJ45 network jack can speak sACN/E1.31 (Net3's DMX), though it may need a software update. If it's a "classic" console then it probably won't.

So it's likely that your console can talk directly to the CEM+ and Net3 DMX Gateways across the network with a little bit of configuration (possibly with software and firmware updates).

However, Avolites consoles don't speak ETC-Net2 (EDMX) and so would need an ETCNet2 Node/Gateway to be able to talk to ETCNet2-only Nodes.

I'd recommend that you do a quick hardware survey, and find out exactly which network-connected hardware you've got and the software/firmware it's running.
    Then get in touch with ETC technical services via email, they can help you figure out the best (most performant/lowest cost) approaches to upgrade.

• Which particular Avolites console?

Most of the Avolites consoles natively speak sACN.
    - I believe that all the "Titan" family with an RJ45 network jack can speak sACN/E1.31 (Net3's DMX), though it may need a software update. If it's a "classic" console then it probably won't.

So it's likely that your console can talk directly to the CEM+ and Net3 DMX Gateways across the network with a little bit of configuration (possibly with software and firmware updates).

However, Avolites consoles don't speak ETC-Net2 (EDMX) and so would need an ETCNet2 Node/Gateway to be able to talk to ETCNet2-only Nodes.

I'd recommend that you do a quick hardware survey, and find out exactly which network-connected hardware you've got and the software/firmware it's running.
    Then get in touch with ETC technical services via email, they can help you figure out the best (most performant/lowest cost) approaches to upgrade.

Children
No Data
Related