sacn universe and multicast port

Good morning everyone, I'm now getting into the ACN world and I need clarification.

In the SACN protocol there is the term UNIVERSE which indicates, from what I understand, the universe to which the 512 DMX channels that are sent belong.

Now I have set the multicast address to 239.255.0.1 and transmit the universe number 1 without problems.However, I also sent other universes to the same address, there too without problems.

I checked with SACN View where both unviverses and channels were activated or not ,and everything is fine.

On the ETC website, on the SACN MULTICAST CALCULATOR page I read that if I want to transmit universe 1, I have to use the address x.x.0.1 while if I want to transmit, for example universe 5, I have to use the address x.x.0.5.

In my tests I transmitted on the same address, both universes different from the calculated one (example universe 4 on address 230.255.0.1) and even more universes (example uni1,2,3,4 on address 230.255.0.1) without problems.

Using sacnview I read all configurations correctly.

My question is: why do I have to use universe>address correspondence? Am I obligated to use it? can I transmit multiple universes on the same address? does the term UNIVERSE... have two different meanings?

thanks to anyone who can clarify the concept for me.

Mario

Parents Reply Children
No Data
Related