Updating Net3 4-port Gateway - over a Network?

I've had an issue with one of my two Net3 4-port Gateways not showing up on GCE, pinging, or appearing on the "About System" list in About on my EOS.  This was correctly diagnosed as being down to an old software version - the one that doesn't appear is on Gateway v2.x and the one that does is on Gateway 3.x. 

Clearly I need to update the software on the older Gateway, but it is permanently installed and inconvenient to get to with a Laptop (and as mentioned not showing on GCE through my Console).  How reliable is the "Hold Button 5 sec to Download Software" function, how long will it take (I got bored and reset after 10 minutes of waiting, though it said it was downloading at the time), and is this a good idea at all?  I assume that it is downloading from my RPU as TFTP server based on the IP, but will the RPU have the latest Gateway Software version already (by dint of running on it's own most recent version, EOS v1.9.6), or how could I check and update this?

Thanks in advance, would just be really handy to update over the network if this does work reliably!

Ric

p.s. Release Notes for v1.9.6 insist on Gateway software v4.0.0 for ETCNet2 operation.  This is slightly confusing as my Gateways are running on the latest Net3 version which is 3.x.  We're not using Net2 so it's not an issue, but the release note being a little misleading (if running as Net2 a different version number appears?) may be causing more Support calls than necessary!

Parents
  • Hi Ric,

I suspect there's something else going on with your system other than the version issue.  GCE is backward compatible with gateway versions, so if it recognizes the four port version 3 software, it should also recognize four ports running version 2 or version 1 software.  I'd still recommend getting that version 2 gateway updated to the latest because it does fix some bugs and, when working to solve a problem, it's usually convenient to eliminate any old bugs that are already corrected.

That said, the Eos console software update changes the operating code for console operations, but doesn't update gateway binary firmware on the hard drive.  We made that choice to avoid someone accidentally changing the firmware on their gateways without knowing what had happened.  There can be incompatibilities with specific other software in the system, and there's always the remote possibility of breaking something unforeseen during an update.  It's much better for us all if you know what you're changing.   To update the gateway firmware on the desk or RPU, just run the most recent GCE installer from the same software update button in the shell that you use to update Eos on that device.

As for your final question, your interpretation is correct.  The gateway firmware file that you download actually contains two complete software images -- one for Net2 operation, and one for ACN operation.  Each image has its own version number.  The Net2 software is v4; the ACN software has currently only made it to v3.

When you do this firmware download, it could take several minutes for the gateway to show progress, but then you should start seeing the LCD change to reflect various stages of the update process (things like listing each file as it unpacks).  If you never see any changes, I'd be suspicious of your network infrastructure.  The fact that the gateway has failed ping tests make this even more likely.  If you can't ping the device, you're highly unlikely to get data out of it, or see it in GCE.  Perhaps try moving the troublesome gateway to another port or Ethernet switch and see if the problem resolves.  If you have the console running with things patched in the universes the gateway is configured to output, you can use the status of the arrows around the displayed port numbers as a quick test to see if data is getting to the gateway from the console.

[edited by: Tracy.Fitch at 7:57 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, Feb 2 2011]
  • Tracy,

Thanks for the reply.  I'll check and update the GCE on my RPU if required.  Just to clarify though, despite the lack of Ping response that you might expect to be fatal, the Gateway is actually receiving data and Outputting DMX just fine! 

The only current fault I have is that it's not showing up - but now I've discovered the software version issue, I'm obviously intending to remedy it.

Ric

• Tracy,

Thanks for the reply.  I'll check and update the GCE on my RPU if required.  Just to clarify though, despite the lack of Ping response that you might expect to be fatal, the Gateway is actually receiving data and Outputting DMX just fine! 

The only current fault I have is that it's not showing up - but now I've discovered the software version issue, I'm obviously intending to remedy it.

Ric

Children
  • From the above, it sounds very much like the Gateway in question has incorrect IP address settings, likely due to not being given an IP either manually or by a DHCP server.
    - They eventually default to a 169.254.x.x address if never told what to do.

With incorrect IP address, firmware update will fail (as it can't find the computer or Eos running GCE), and you won't be able to Ping. However, in most cases the basic DMX functions will still work as these aren't as reliant on the IP address.

If you make sure that exactly one DHCP (Address) Server is running on your network (eg by ticking the box in the Eos shell or temporarily turning it on while running GCE), then reboot the Gateway, this should give it a good IP.

If it doesn't, then you'll need to go through the menu on the Gateway looking for the option named something like "Switch to dynamic IP" or "refresh dynamic IP", and choose that which will force the Gateway to look for an IP.

Finally - the "Download Software" option will tell the Gateway to download firmware from the "TFTP server" address in its config. If you've never configured this or updated the firmware in that Gateway before, it'll probably be wrong.
    - By default, updating firmware will set this to be the machine you updated from, unless you told it otherwise.

• Thanks for that, Richard. 

As you suspected it was down to the Network Configuration, though in this case a too narrowly set Subnet Mask.  We don't use DHCP on our network as we like everything to have a Static address, and as we rarely add extra devices there's less of a benefit.  It's useful to know that Gateways will output DMX even with incorrectly set IP/Subnet Mask/Gateway, as you might assume otherwise, and that if it's outputting that those details are correct.

Remedying the IP issue meant that the Gateway now appeared with its counterparts on GCE throughout the Network.  I also made sure to set the TFTP Server address, which was wrong as you had suggested it would be.  However, I was unable to successfully update the firmware on the Gateway (previously running Net3 v2.x.x) through GCE - each time the update said that it had completed, and the Gateway rebooted, but still hadn't changed version number.  I tried this from a Laptop over the network, through the RPU and from a Laptop locally.  In the end I was only successful using the Menu Setting on the Gateway to "Hold Button... to update Software".  This time it connected, downloaded, expanded the files, checked and installed them.

So the end result is I'm all up to date, and know more than I did before.

Thanks all,

Ric

p.s. Slightly frustrating sidenote: the latest version of GCE available from the website is v2.0.1, which when expanded says it is 2.0.1.9.0.2.  However the About box once that version is installed says v2.0.0.9.0.29 (which was what I was on to start with) so I suspect I've spent longer looking at GCE Installshield than I really needed to.

• Hi Ric,

I think your gateway probably wasn't updating from GCE because the Update Service within GCE wasn't running.

To turn this on go to the Network drop down > Configure Network and Services and activate the Update Service. This will probably turn itself off again when you exit GCE, so remember to check next time you do an update.

It's one of those things that always catches me out, no matter how many updates I've done!

Graham

• Hi Ric,

sorry about the misunderstanding with the GCE version. On our website, we have the GCE Installer v2.0.1 , which

installs GCE v2.0.0, and other files for Net3 Services.

I agree that it is misleading that the link states GCE v2.0.1, and not GCE Installer v2.0.1. --- will see about having that

changed to be more clear.

• Thanks Corey.

I think even with that amendment to the title I might well have made the same mistake.  As they are so similar, might I suggest that the GCE Installer version tracks the version number of GCE that it installs, for simplicity?  Alternatively, give the installer a version number very different to the GCE it installs so that you can't mix them up or make the assumption I did.

• On the subject of Release Notes and Versions, when I was checking for updates the other day I think I came across an issue:

Is the "Effective Date" in the Net3 Two and Four Port Gateway v5.0.0 Release Note meant to be 2010?  I think it should be 2011.  Not critical, I'm sure.

Apologies if that isn't correct,

Ric

• Graham and Corey,

On my annual maintenance and checking that my Gateways are up-to-date, I encountered the issue of having problems updating software again!  Luckily I remembered this post from before, and as predicted the Update Service was turned off on GCE.  My only point is, on selecting a device through GCE, and choosing "Update Software" through the "DMX Gateway Configuration" window, would it not be beneficial to have a dialog box come up saying "Update Service is not running on GCE, and must be switched on before this operation can be completed.  Do you want to switch it on? Yes / Cancel", if relevant? 

As there isn't a message, it's possible to start the operation (even though it will then fail), but it does enough to convince the Gateway it's being upgraded, but then makes no progress.  If you weren't keen on the dialog box, then if Update Service is not running, GCE should not send any message to the Gateway to wait for incoming software, so there isn't the appearance of progress.  But I think a message would be better.

Yours hopefully,

Ric

Related