MSC over Ethernet?

Like the title says, is it possible/practicle to use MSC over Ethernet on an EOS network?

Is the protocol published, or is it necessary to disseminate the ACN messages with wireshark or similar?

Cheers,
Jim

Parents
  • MSC as in MIDI Show Control, I think - not a Mosaic Show Controller. The dangers of TLAs and ETLAs! 

Jim, I'll drop you an email but the short answer for posterity is - yes, it's easy-ish to send strings via UDP for Eos to understand and trigger events, in a very similar way to MIDI Show Control. The packet format is spelled out in the manual under the serial section, and the Ethernet/UDP information (new to 1.9.5) is in the supplement.

There is also an option to have Eos send a string to a given address/port whenever it would normally send an MSC packet, e.g. Go, Stop, and so on.

:)

• Yes sorry, it is Midi, not Mosaic - TLAs indeed...
    I think Luke has given me the answer I need - thanks everyone who replied.

Jim

• Luke is correct that the gateways are really media coverters, from MIDI cable to Ethernet.  On a PC or another programmable device with native Ethernet media, all that is needed is UDP, and soon it will be possible to use TCP to send command strings reliably.

• I know this discussion is out of date, but the original question was not answered . . .

We have been using Midi Show Control to operate a GrandMA in sync with an Obsession2 successfully for years - over a standard midi cable.

We hope to upgrade to an Eos soon, and yes i know it could take the place of both of those older consoles, but since we have a long running show, we would at least initially need to operate the same way, having a 'Go' button push on the Eos send a 'Cue 35 go' command to the GrandMA via Midi Show Control.

My reading of the Eos manuals gives me confidence that this will work with a hardwired midi cable.

But it also seems to say that Midi Show Control will work over an ethernet connection.

Am i engaging in wishful thinking?

• Midi show control over ethernet on the Eos works with the Net3 show control gateway.  From the gateway you would plug the midi cable into the GMA.

I don't think that the GMA and Eos use the same midi over ethernet protocols.  I have not tried it.  The Net3 Show control gateway shows up in the "about system" on my system as a Pathway connectivity Inc. Midi control module.  

• Midi show control over ethernet on the Eos works with the Net3 show control gateway.  From the gateway you would plug the midi cable into the GMA.

I don't think that the GMA and Eos use the same midi over ethernet protocols.  I have not tried it.  The Net3 Show control gateway shows up in the "about system" on my system as a Pathway connectivity Inc. Midi control module.  

Children
No Data
Related