SmartBar hook up to Express 24/48 system

I'm new to this console and I'm trying to connect a 4-channel SmartBar to the Express panel. I have 2 12-channel SmartPacks and I need a few more channels. I've set the SmartBar DMX addresses to 25 through 28; tried every type combination of hookups, but I can't get the panel to turn on any channels. The bar works fine as a pass through and the 24 channels work fine. (The Express is set for Single Scene mode without subs).

Help!

Jeff

• Hi Jeff,

There are a few things to check :

- What is the DMX LED on the Smartbar doing? This is the LED on the lower left side of the display. It should be lit solid when DMX is present. If it is blinking then DMX is not being recieved by the bar

- If the DMX LED is on solid but there is still no control, you might need to check the patch in your Express to make sure channels 25-28 are patched. See the manual in the patch section.

- How is the system wired? It sounds like the 5 pin DMX cable is running from your Express, to the Smartbar, and then out of the Smartbar to your SmartPacks, and the Smartpacks are working OK- right?

- Try plugging the Smartbar directly into the Express with a short length of known working cable. Does that work?

If it still doesn't work there might be a problem with your Smartbar. In that case the best thing to do is to call Technical Services at ETC and we can help you out getting it fixed.

Tom

• Thanks Tom,

I'm working on the Express on Wednesday and I'll your suggestions.

The DMX on the SmartBar doesn't flicker, so there is a signal and I've tried plugging it directly but that hasn't worked. The Bar works on its own when a light is mechanically controlled.

I've wired the Bar and the Express in every conceivable way and the Express works perfectly fine with or without being connected to the Bar.

I'll check the patch channels on Wednesday.

Jeff

• Thanks Tom,

You were right about the dimmer patch settings. The patch had only gone up to dimmer 24, because that's all the dimmers that we had. When I set dimmers 25 and beyond to their corresponding channels, everything worked beautifully.

Again, thanks,

Jeff

Related