ARCH kit

A recurring problem that I often encounter when I turn on systems that include DR dimmer racks is the electrician running wiring through the space at the bottom of the rack where the ARCH kit mounting plate gets installed. It would be helpful if racks could have either this plate pre-installed at the factory, or a warning sticker or cardboard insert or something.  Perhaps with the new Paradigm system this is now a moot point, though I have not yet had hands-on with the new equipment.

Whenever I sell systems myself and have the initial discussions with the installing electrician, I mention this critical area and have not had any problems. I would say that 25% the systems that I've turned on as pure factory turn-ons where the electrician might not have even bothered calling the PM have wiring run through this area. It's clear to me from this and other contractor issues that ECs don't typically read the installation instructions, so I guess the ultimate question is how much should the factory try to protect the ECs from themselves!  I have seen other vendors slap warning stickers with wiring details on the outside of racks where wiring is / is not permitted, though I could not attest to the effectiveness of this method. 

Andrew Yalowitz

Roanoke VA

• Well, you'll like two things about the new Unison DRd racks (supporting both SmartLink and Paradigm controllers):

There is no longer an ARCH option board.  Every rack supports stations.  This does make the issue moot for most cases.

There are stickers in the top and bottom of the rack showing where conduit entry is and is not permitted -- it prohibits conduit entry near the fan on the top, and where option boards (such as FLO) go on the bottom.  Also, there is a general wiring diagram sticker on the rack, which is quite convenient.

[edited by: mgarrison at 9:28 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, Sep 17 2008]
  • Andrew,

The problem you report used to be a big issue!

Then we started adding the information about where you should and should not  bring wire into the rack but in the end it is up to the person that is punching the hole in the rack and feeding the wire through…..

Mike