Nic Picker

I love how the ETC applications have a NIC picker associated with them - in that you can specifically assign a network interface for the program to communicate through.

Does anyone know of an overall Nic Picker for windows?  One where you can route specifc programs to specific network interface cards?

IE lets say I want to be connected via the hardline card to my Paradigm system but wanted my email and web browsing to go only to my wireless connection...  Does something like this exist?

• I have three NIC's on my computer, one does internet and office network, another is ETCNet, and another is Hognet. I've learned that windows will route the appropriate traffic to the appropriate port if you only enter a gateway for the internet NIC and leave the others blank. For the other two I just have a static IP address and a subnet mask. 

The Internet NIC is in the 192.168.1.*** range

The ETC NIC is in the 10.101.101.*** range

The Hognet NIC is in the 172.31.0.*** range

I can go into IE and type in a web address and then type in 10.101.101.101 which is one of the dimmer racks, windows switches seamlessly to the other NIC card to communicate.

• For working in the field I recommend Free IP Switcher.  You can get this exe from http://www.eusing.com/ipswitch/free_ip_switcher.htm.  What I like about it is you can setup your network configs once, then select your network card and assign the parameters that you desire.  This works perfect with Laptops without adding an additional NIC.

P-

• Have you found any issues when using your laptop on ETC systems with it not finding the right "Gateway" to the network?   I was under the impression that we need to have the gateway match the IP for that card.  Just curious if you've had any issues with that.  If what you do works, I may try this with a spare NIC card left over from my older laptops.

• The only issues I have are when I leave my desk dock and go on site.  I have to refresh the network card list and away I go.  Other then that it works like a charm.  You can have different settings for each communication port on you pc.  This includes Bluetooth.

P-

• It's actually not always a requirement for the IP address to match the gateway on your laptop, UNLESS you want to run the Net2 Network Address Server from NCE.

If you don't need that you can leave the gateway part of your ETC nic settings blank, and then Windows will use that to talk to the ETC kit and use the internet connected NIC to connect to the internet.

If you need the Net2 Address server they do have to be the same - so you won't be able to be on the internet and an address server at the same time.

Tom

• One other thing to watch out for with a dual nic situation -- you may need special configuration of your proxy settings if you have a corporate proxy server.  If you find that to be an issue, usually your IT folks can help out with adding the 10.101.x.x range as a "local network" that doesn't run through the proxy.