Card-edge connector (power) for older Sensor CEM or MPE modules

I am having a hard time finding a replacement part for the card-edge connector (8 dual position) that provides the power connection between the back panel and the brain module.  The Molex part # 09-50-6085.  The Tyco part # 582140-5 (attached).  Both manufacturers list these as "obsolete" with no replacement substitutes.  I have purchased the complete wiring harnesses from ETC in the past.  However, the only damage incurred is a broken connector.  So we have been able to replace just the connector using the proper extraction tool...saves time and money.  About a year ago we purchased a pack of 10 of the Molex parts, and have since used all of them.  I am open for suggestions.

• Did you see if ETC had just the card edge connector available? If not, you could try someplace like Digikey. I tried searching for those part numbers, and only the tyco one returned anything, with a minimum order of 950 pieces. But if you open the datasheet for that item, and start inputting specs into a search (for example the .156" pitch) you may be able to find what you are looking for.

• I would think that we could get you just the connector (would need to check)…but I’m more concerned about how these are getting broken? They do have occasion to break but it is a bit of a rarity so I ask: What is the root cause?  

Thanks

Mike Meskill

ETC Service

• Is this for a Sensor Classic (Red beacon LEDs) or Sensor+ (Blue beacon LED’s)?

The ETC part number for the Classic rack is J1157….Still would like to hear about what you are seeing the failures :-)

J1157___CON 16F EDGE HOUS CRMP .156 D___Sensor Clasic J1 connector

J493___ PIN EDGE CRMP 18-24GA MLX (the pins that crimp to the wire)__need 5 if replacing all

Mike

[edited by: mmeskill at 3:35 PM (GMT -6) on Wed, Nov 3 2010]
  • Sorry for the long delay...been on show site since I posted this.  This was my first attempt to use the forum, and I figured would get a response from ETC direct with a replacement part (and it worked via Mike's next two replies).  To answer your question on the search: I have searched Mouser, Newark, DigiKey, etc.  I found a vendor with 2 in stock - wasn't worth the shipping charge.

Thanks for the reply.

• These would be for the Sensor Classic CEM & MPE modules.  I can only assume that these are breaking for a variety of reasons or combination thereof: age, vibration (transportation across country), in/out of modules (test DIP switch), etc...  Over the past year, I have replaced about a dozen of these connectors from racks across our inventory company-wide.  We have branches coast to coast and own dozens of these racks.  Attached is an example of the damage incurred.  I will get with you shortly on the part.

Thanks for the reply.

Sensor Dimmer terminal.pdf
  • Phil,

I have seen this once before but do not know why you are seeing it as many times as you have. Seems odd that you would have many failures like this but then again, I do not have much Sensor Touring rack knowledge. I have asked some others to take a look at your post to see if they have any ideas. Maybe the connector needs more TLC when they are on tour :-)

Thank you,

Mike

• That connector looks a little burnt, although the picture is dark.  Is this problem due to plugging power in incorrectly?  This is quite common on touring racks, but I've never seen it blow the connector apart like this.

• Phil,

Also with the range of the replacements, have these been newer connectors that have failed or older ones?

• i am not sure that plugging in the power has much to do with the damage; although these racks get used by just about anyone so anything is possible.  i believe the problem is more of a direct result in vibration due to a number of reasons: transportation, dimmers on floating truss rigs (exhibit booths), and folks removing the module to flip the "test" switch.  unfortunately, not everyone is familiar with the "850 / 950 / reset" dial switch test method. 

the connector isn't really "blown" apart.  i probably manipulated the connector in the photo to accentuate the damage - that photo was taken a few years ago when we discovered the problem and i sent it out to several folks within our company to show them an example of what to look out for.  typically, the damage is only a visible crack.  this, however, causes a variety of problems with the module acting strange and intermittent: power fluctuate on D20 modules, data acts funky, error codes appear...any number of scenarios can be caused by this damage. 

when we first started getting these racks come back from showsite noting the damage - we sometimes could not replicate the problem(s).  we sent a couple of modules to ETC for repair only to be told that there is nothing wrong with them.  that resulted in us doing a thorough inspection of the chassis and backplane & then we noticed the cracked connectors.  from that point on - it's the first thing we look for.

• can't say for sure - haven't really tracked them that closely