Simple way to trigger an 24h timeline?

Hi,

• I have a real time trigger for a "base timeline effect", that triggers every day at midnight and is not absorbed.
  • I have a real time trigger for a "1 day timeline effect", that triggers at a specific day at midnight - e.g. 1st of May.
  • I have a real time trigger to dim the lights every day at 23.00 on work days
  • I have a real time trigger to dim the lights every day at 01.00 on the weekends
  • I have a real time trigger to turn on the lights at 6.00 if between sunset and sunrise
  • I have a real time trigger to turn off the lights at sunrise.
  • I have a real time trigger to turn on the lights at sunset.

The triggers are currently in this order. So far I have used the "negate on 1st of May" for the real time dimmer triggers (for this example), but this seems quite error-prone, since I have to do it for each 1-day event separately for each of the dimmer triggers.

What is the easiest way to make the "1 day timeline effect" run from from midnight to midnight at 100% dimmer ignoring other the dimmer triggers for that day and dim after it's done?

I am running 2.8.1 firmware.

Kind regards, Andres 

Parents
  • Hi, Andres a quick question. Can you use either a real-time timeline or an astronomical timeline instead? These are timelines that are 24 hours long. You place your presets and effects on them, and you can set the duration you want them to run. These have the advantage of automatically syncing up to processor time and running automatically. Typically I add a start-up trigger to launch them so they sync on boot and a midnight launch trigger to help deal with special days and any other mucked-up priority stuff that can happen if the user has manual control. 

You could put all of the individual events you have into one regular day timeline and then your particular day timelines could either still play for their one-off events or create special day timelines that have a full schedule of alternate looks for the days in question. Remember to put special days first and set to absorb.

The difference between real-time and astronomical time triggers is relevant to your needs. as astro-time triggers add waypoints for sunrise and sunset. The way an astro-time timeline works is if you have an effect that is set at the sunrise or sunset waypoint on the timeline they will rate shift to make sure the timeline reaches that point at the waypoints time instead of actual time. 

I find these to be much more efficient when you have a consistent full-day schedule than creating a trigger for each event throughout the day. Also because it is always running in the background ( unless you specifically stop it) whenever you release any other timelines you restore to your regular or special day look without needing to do a lot of complicated restore

It might work, give it a try. 

David Fox- He/His/Him

ETC Education Center

• Hi David, Sorry, I am not sure I understand how to make this. Would you please be so kind to amend my sample show file to reflect this, if possible? I would like to get the base effect run according to the normal triggers, but all the rest - e.g. pink and orange - to run on specific day from 00 to 24, then revert back.

Does your suggestion work only with static effects? What if I want to a 15sec video to loop on a specific day? Will override the dimmer triggers?

Here's the a OneDrive link to the 2.8.6 show file AndresK_sample2.md2

I just realised that my actual question should have been "how to avoid real time dimmer triggers for a specific timeline".  Sometimes the special effects are annual, sometimes just occasional. Making timeline start triggers for each event is not complicated.

• Hi Andres;

I will try to find some time to edit your file, but it may not be until next week. 

To answer your questions about playback, however, remember the timeplines play as LTP. So if you start a timeline A and then start another timeline B, the timeline A is overridden but not stopped. So once Timeline B ends or releases, you will see timeline A again.

Like a layer cake the timelines build on top of each other. with the latest one being onstage.But if there are other timelines running that are not modified by the last one players you will see their effects too.  So if you have a real-time timeline that is running, and then play your occasional effect, once the effect is done and releases or ends your real-time timeline will reappear on stage playing. 

As for creating one and adding content, real-time timelines look like any other timeline and allow you to program on them like any other timeline. The difference is they are 24 hours long. So you place your effects where you want them to start and then drag their end points to where you want them to end. 

Go to Timeline tab and select New> realtime timeline and you will see what I mean.

• Hi. you had a chance to look into this? I actually thought that the trigger I am looking for could be "suspend all other triggers until *something".

• Anders;

I am so sorry, this slipped my mind and I completely I dropped the ball on this. Can you send me a new link to the file?

• Hi,

Here's the OneDrive link.

The idea is that I have Base effect running daily with the dimming trigger turning it off and on. What I want to achieve - is that on 2023.11.25 from 00:01 to 24:00 a different effect is run with 80% brightness. After 24:00 it should revert the brightness back to what ever it should be. 

adamestonia-my.sharepoint.com/.../EcHse0r4tANPoCiDuZ57YaYBybRf7w5-mtGPiBh01yQlaQ

• Hi,

I am reviewing the configuration now and trying to determine the best way for you to do what you want. a real-time timeline is probably not the best solution here as you are using one trigger to set your day look and the remaining triggers to set intensity through the day. That is a neat approach. I like it.  I think I see the issue you are running into and that is because Triggers always run from the top of the list to the bottom of the list and unless absorbed is checked, the event can fire more than one trigger.  This includes real-time triggers. Each second is also its action down the timeline list

Your first three triggers are 

1. Every Day at 12:01:00 AM release all timelines and start the base timeline (not absorbed)
    2. On October 30 and 31 2023 at 12:01:01 release all timelines and start the pink timeline (absorbed)
    3. On November 25 2023 at 12:01:00 release all timelines and start the orange timeline (absorbed)

It seems petty, but that extra second can make a big difference in what you see and restore and trigger order/and absorption comes into effect. So based on your order and commands this is the logic Mosaic will use to determine what is playing

Every Day

12:01:00 am

[Timeline 1 fires] All timelines released, Base timeline starts

Not absorbed, keep looking for other events that start at 12:01:00

On October 30 and 31 2023

12:01:01 am

[Timeline 2 fires] All timelines released, pink timeline starts

Absorbed, Stop looking for other events that start at 12:01:01

On November 25, 2023

[Timeline 3 fires] All timelines released, Orange timeline starts

Absorbed, Stop looking for other events that start at 12:01:00

I can 100% see how this would appear confusing both in reality and the logs.

My suggestion is to reorder and adjust these timelines as follows:

1. On October 30 and 31 2023 at 12:01:00 release all timelines and start the pink timeline (absorbed)
    2. On November 25 2023 at 12:01:00 release all timelines and start the orange timeline (absorbed)
    3. Every Day at 12:01:00 AM release all timelines and start the base timeline (not absorbed)

If you make this change this is how Mosaic will operate 

On October 30 and 31, 2023

On November 25, 2023

On Every other day

This would ensure that your special days play their colors/timeline as expected and absorb the event so the base does not play also. But the base will play on every other day.

Your intensity timelines will then control your fixtures based on the active timeline. 

Hope this helps. 

David

• Hi,

I am reviewing the configuration now and trying to determine the best way for you to do what you want. a real-time timeline is probably not the best solution here as you are using one trigger to set your day look and the remaining triggers to set intensity through the day. That is a neat approach. I like it.  I think I see the issue you are running into and that is because Triggers always run from the top of the list to the bottom of the list and unless absorbed is checked, the event can fire more than one trigger.  This includes real-time triggers. Each second is also its action down the timeline list

Your first three triggers are 

1. Every Day at 12:01:00 AM release all timelines and start the base timeline (not absorbed)
    2. On October 30 and 31 2023 at 12:01:01 release all timelines and start the pink timeline (absorbed)
    3. On November 25 2023 at 12:01:00 release all timelines and start the orange timeline (absorbed)

It seems petty, but that extra second can make a big difference in what you see and restore and trigger order/and absorption comes into effect. So based on your order and commands this is the logic Mosaic will use to determine what is playing

Every Day

On October 30 and 31 2023

12:01:01 am

On November 25, 2023

I can 100% see how this would appear confusing both in reality and the logs.

My suggestion is to reorder and adjust these timelines as follows:

1. On October 30 and 31 2023 at 12:01:00 release all timelines and start the pink timeline (absorbed)
    2. On November 25 2023 at 12:01:00 release all timelines and start the orange timeline (absorbed)
    3. Every Day at 12:01:00 AM release all timelines and start the base timeline (not absorbed)

If you make this change this is how Mosaic will operate 

On October 30 and 31, 2023

On November 25, 2023

On Every other day

This would ensure that your special days play their colors/timeline as expected and absorb the event so the base does not play also. But the base will play on every other day.

Your intensity timelines will then control your fixtures based on the active timeline. 

Hope this helps. 

David

Children
No Data
Related