Phone Remote Issues

We have been using a phone remote and on v.4.3 if you bring up a channel on the remote then go to the board and hit 0 goto it would clear, now i try that on v5 and the channels don't clear.
  • Hi Russell -

In order to allow techs to work with remotes and not keep a main programmer from also working, remote controls are now handled in their own field. To clear contributions from a remote control, please go to the Browser> Channels> Settings and Tools> Remote Controls> Clear Remote Fields. Or, you can always set the channel(s) back to zero from the remote.

Thanks -

Sarah

• I noticed that the other day when I was playing with V5, it even has a little "RE" symbol on the channel to tell you where it is coming from.  Now, if you have something up with the remote and record a preset, does it ignore the info from the remote field?

J. R. Lidgett
    Salina Community Theatre

• Intensity information coming from the remote will be ignored by a record action on the console, and vice versa (console levels are not recorded when you record from the remote). Attributes are a different matter, though, as we don't have a sense of "ownership" of attributes in Congo.

Thanks!

Sarah

• We had the same problem with a show we did, only it was with a preset.  We had used the phone remote to go into preset '1' (1 - Pre) so that we could open house.  All of first act had that preset 1 underlying every other preset.   The real problem was when we had a blackout preset and it didn't blackout.  We had eventually unplugged the dmx, rebooted V5, set us in the appropriate preset and plugged the dmx back in.  That was the only way that we could get rid of the locked preset.

We were able to recreate the problem and tried everything to clear it from both the phone and the console, and we could not.  Reloading the show from USB didn't help either.  We had to exit to the welcome screen again and reload and it was fine.

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Thanks

JJ

[edited by: jjbgoode at 4:06 PM (GMT -6) on Sun, Jun 15 2008]
  • Please note that in v5 (also described above), remote controls are handled in a separate working area. Normal console actions will not clear the contribution from the remote control. You need to use the command under Remote Controls in the Browser to clear remote control data from the console.

However, you should of course be able to clear the levels that you have activated from the remote using the commands on the remote.

The channels that you couldn't get rid of, where they marked with "Re" on the channel screen if you selected them? This indicates that a channel is active from the remote controls working area and not from the console.

• The channels were not marked with anything.  Again, it wasn't that we had brought up individual channels but that we had used the phone to go into a preset.  Looking at the channel layout, nothing was marked differently.  Even now when I go into a preset with the phone remote, I get no labels or other markings that distinguish those channels as being used by the remote.  I can see the levels of the channels that are "on" from that preset, but that is all.

There was one thing I hadn't tried because we were in a live show at the time and I didn't want to chance a complete blackout (not knowing what the result would really be), and that was to clear the channels from the phone (ALL @ 0% or *-0-*-#)  As it turns out, that's the only way that I've found to get rid of the underlying preset.  Trying to go to zero preset (0-*-4) did nothing.

Unfortunately we had upgraded to V5 right before we went into this show, so we hadn't made ourselves thoroughly aware of all of the changes in the new version and just assumed that the remote still functioned the same as before.  We now know better, but there's still the problem of not knowing whether the preset that is live is controlled by the console or the remote.

On a side note: if I start at zero preset and use the phone remote to 'GO' (*-7), it will go into the first preset but without the above mentioned issues. 

Thanks for helping me to understand what it should be doing :)

[edited by: jjbgoode at 2:25 PM (GMT -6) on Wed, Jun 18 2008]
  • Sarah-

A number of times recently we have found lights that have been "stuck on" and have traced it down to the remote having brought them up and not being cleared.  However, when programming during the times when these lights were up the lights brought up by the remote were indeed recording into the cues.  I love the idea of being able to program while the electricians are working on problems with the remote, but it is ineffective if it records those lights.  We're using v5.1.

Thanks.

Mark

• Hi Mark -

I'll have to ask Anders about this one. Will get back to you...

Thanks -

Sarah

Related