Problems using Mask -V5

I'm having issues with the mask button. When I press and hold Mask F, C, B than press Modify and Mask, nothing is checked off. If I Press and Hold Mask F, C, B (so that nothing is masked), than press and hold Modify and Mask, everything's checked off.

So here's the question...

If I want to mask ONLY Gobo1, Gobo2, And all color, how do I do this?

Please help.

MZ 

• Hi Mike -

Here's how I use the Mask function - 

Press MASK once to turn the Mask on - the LED in the key lights. Press and hold MASK then press FOCUS (or COLOR or BEAM, or U1, U2 or U3) to mask out an entire category of parameters, or press and hold MASK then press the WHEEL KEY that corresponds to a single parameter. So for example, if I want to mask all beam parameters other than Iris, I would first mask out all of beam, then unmask Iris using MASK & WHEEL KEY. Make sense? Masks are toggled, so if you mask something and you then want to unmask it, simply repeat the keystroke - MASK & category key or MASK & WHEEL KEY.

Thanks -

Sarah

• Well on my machine it seems to be reversed now. I always use mask and this is something new to version 5. Right now I have to mask everything but Gobo1 and Gobo2 to mask Gobo1 and Gobo2

MZ 

• Hi Mike -

It works as expected here... Is there aything else special you're doing? Can you send me a play file?

Thanks -

Sarah

• I think what might be what is confusing you, if there is no check mark then the parameter is masked, if there is a check then is not masked.  This is something that changed in V5- it used to be “On” and “Off.” The check marks also confused me for a while, the fact that the manual wasn’t updated doesn’t help.

Um unclear whether you want to mask everything but the Gobos, or only the gobos, but heres a step by step to do this would be to mask everything but your gobo Parameters:

1. Press mask until the LED is on (this means that Mask is on)

2. Hold down [C/alt] & [Mask]- this resets the mask (so that everything it recorded, or everything is checked).

3. Hold down [Mask] and press [Focus] [Color] then [Beam]. (this will mask out all Parameters)

4. Call up the Gobo attributes that you want unmasked onto your moving light display (by pressing [Beam] until they appear).  Hold down [Mask] and press the encoders once each- this will toggle the specific attributes on encoder on.

That should do it.

If you Press [Modify] & [mask] you can view the mask editor to see what’s masked, there should be Check marks next to Parameters that are Not masked. You can also edit the mask from this screen by Pressing Modify over the Mask column to toggle the mask on and off- this might be easier for you.

hope this helps, sorry to repeate some of what Sarah said

Alex

[edited by: alexbright at 2:29 PM (GMT -6) on Mon, Aug 11 2008]
  • Hi Folks

I use Mask + FCB.  I haven't noticed any change in V5, but I didn't and don't use the mask editor.

To do what you want to do Mike, I would

Press Beam to get to the screen showing Gobo1 and Gobo2 (I setup U1 to be G1, G1 Rotate, G2, G2 Rotate)

Press and release Mask (LED on)

Press and hold Mask

Press and release Color

Press and release the encoder buttons above the wheels for Gobo1 and Gobo 2 one at a time.

Release Mask

In the LCD display near the bottom, you should see F C+ B-.

For all the users new to mask, the plus means that all the attributes in the group are masked, and the minus means that only some of the attributes in the group are masked.  The masked attributes show up as --- in the live attributes tab.

I use mask to build sequences that only effect focus, color, beam or some combination.

Take care,

John

• Thanks everyone for the advice. But let's look at this a little bit.

Before version 5.0 modify>mask displayed what is masked and what wasn't. Now with version 5.0, what is checked is not masked (even though the heading is "Mask"

So is it the case now that "Mask" (checked) means not masked in the editor?

MZ 

• Hi Mike,

I played with it offline in v5 and with the console I am sitting behind running v4.2  (not my console, so I haven't upgraded its software), and I see what you mean.  The mask editor is reversed in V5 from V4.2.

The question is, "Is it a feature or a design flaw?"

I don't think that I would get into using the mask editor, unless...you could have a list of MASKs that were saved.  Now, that would be the icing on the cake.

Take care,

John

• Hi guys -

Yes, given the checked/unchecked thing, the column header is misleading. I've added as an item to be fixed in a future release - to either return to the on/off status, or to change the column header and check mark behavior. If the column were named "masked" and the checks appeared only on those items that were in fact masked, it would be a lot clearer.

However, for now, think of the check mark as indicating available or active parameters, not the actual masked ones. We'll get it sorted out.

Sorry for the confusion - 

Sarah

• Agreed: a saved list of custom masks would be excellent.
  • Hi,

Just to be sure whenever I am masking I open the attribute editor. This shows clearly what will and won't be recorded.

Related