strange behavior since 3.0

I have posted this twice but for some reason I just don't see it anywhere so trying one more time. Aaarrgggg.

Figure this out?
Have ETC conventionals, ETC color led’s and Chauvet color HEX wireless led’s at church main stage.
Upgraded Element to 3.0.
Have groups all color, ETC ICE, ETC Fire, Hex truss, Hex columns & all hex.
The all color group is every led fixture, ETC and Chauvet.
The All Hex group is all Hex ch 111-119
The Hex truss group is Hex ch 111, 113, 117, 119
The Hex Columns group is ch 112 & 118
Not using Hex ch 114-116 fixtures. Powered off and spares in back room.
Have color pallets red, orange, yellow, green, blue, mag, cyan, pink, warm, cool and default all colors (whiteish)
Since the upgrade:
Select group all colors at at enter then go thru all color pallets. All colors work on all fixtures EXCEPT blue. When blue is selected Hex ch 111-113 remain default whiteish.
Start over: select all Hex at at. Same results for those fixtures.
Start over: select Hex truss at at. All colors work all fixtures selected.
Start over: select Hex columns at at. All colors work all fixtures selected.
Start over: select all colors minus 117 at at. All colors work all fixtures selected. (Of course 117 is off).
Note: i did the all colors minus Hex channel 111, redo then 112 redo, then 113 and so on all thru to minus 119 and the only channel removed from the list that allowed all fixtures to display blue was 117. As long as 117 was in the list of all colors or all Hex ch 111-113 would not respond to blue.
If 117 was in the all truss selection then they would all respond.
The only two groups that include 117 but would not allow 111-113 to respond to blue were all colors and all Hex.
Otherwise all worked.
Manually entering 111-119 at at enter same blue issue for 111-113.
Start over: manually 111-119 minus 117 at at all worked. 117 of course off.
(I don’t think 117 is the issue however).
Now even more interesting. As stated, when all colors is selected at at and then blue 111-113 do not respond and all others change to blue, Hex and ETC.
With them all on still blue selection, rolling the intensity wheel from FL to 100 causes 111-113 to snap blue.
Same results using all Hex at at blue.
Start over: select all colors at 99 and blue. All respond.
Same when using all Hex at 99 blue.
Dont forget all truss 111, 113, 117, 119 at at do respond to blue. This is one reason I don’t think 117 is the problem.
Also dont forget blue is the only color affected. All the other colors work on any selection at at.
As a temp fix I changed the console setting for at at to be 99%. Now all groups work all colors when using at at but something is definitely going on.
Funny but FL wont allow those 3 to go blue in all colors or all Hex but 100 does. Of course selecting them at 100 enter shows FL so the only way to get them at 100 and not full is slightly roll the wheel down. The second that value changes from FL to 100 those 3 respond.
The MS always displays the correct colors but I’m guessing that’s because it links to the selection rather than output.
I called tech support a couple weeks ago who could not resolve it and relayed it up the ranks. (I sent both the working 2.9 show file and the possessed 3.0 file) No word yet. I know ETC is hammered right now so thought I would see if anyone has any thoughts.
I did delete group all Hex and recreate it but nothing changed.
Parents
  • Hi Jeff,

A few things to try.  Please confirm again in 2.9.1 that the behavior does not exist.  If it does not, please post your 2.9.1 and 3.0.0 showfiles.  You never mention the Chauvet fixture models that I can decipher in this post, so knowing exactly which fixtures and exactly which modes the fixtures are set to be will help.  Also confirming that the console fixture profile matches the fixture mode will be key.

• Here is the fixture info but before getting too deep do you want to keep this in the forum or thru email? I seem to be getting into trouble off and on violating rules of posting in different places so I don't want to do that here.

I did some testing today and have pics as well.

The fixtures are Chauvet FreedomPar Hex-4 at 8 ch setting.

• Hi Jeff,

I apologize that we lost track of the showfiles you sent to us a few weeks ago.  I have them now, CCD 1'11 2020-10-18-08-11-59.esf and CCD Main 3D 2020-10-19 13-30-18.esf3d.

One difference I see is that you Updated Profile on those Hex fixtures in v3.0.0.  That causes their Strobe to sit at DMX-level 11 instead of 0 (basically, they're at "slowest strobe" instead of "no strobe" in the cues you've recorded. 

I'm curious how these channels behave if, in v3.0.0 with the "Main 3D" file, you try

"GoToCue Out.  Group 30 "All Hex" At Full Enter.  Color Palette 5 Enter."

(At this point, is 111-113 whiteish?)

"GoToCue Out.  Group 30 - Chan 117 At Full Enter.  Color Palette 5 Enter."

(111-113 is now blue?)

"Chan 117 at Full Enter"

(Do 111-113 turn white, or stay blue?)

With them all on still blue selection, rolling the intensity wheel from FL to 100 causes 111-113 to snap blue.

If you roll the wheel back up to FL from 100 (DMX level 254), do the fixtures go back to White?

Do you know if all the fixtures are running the same firmware?  Do their starting addresses match what's in the console, and are they all in 8-channel mode?

If you open Tab 37 sACN Output Viewer, do you have any other sources online in Universe 2 except the Element?

If you go into Patch and change 117 to Address 0, does everything behave the way you expect (the same as Group 30 - Chan 117 was)?

If you set Chan 117 back to Address 2/228, then Park Address 2/228 at 254, does everything behave the way you expect?

Thanks, -MattP. 

• Here is some added info. I discovered today. I will have to try your suggestions tomorrow.

I did confirm all the Hex fixtures were running the same 8 ch mode as well as had the correct dmx addresses matching to the console patch.

First while the console was still running 3.0 mode I opened old show files in the string of saved ones. This is where it gets lengthy: (Remember it seemed blue was the color of issue when at Full)

Opened CCD 1'11 2020-10-19 11-55-11.esf. All Hex at full enter. Went thru the colors from red to back default; so r, o, y, g, b, m, c, p, warm, cool, def. When switching from green to blue those 3 remained green. Then next after blue is mag. They ALL switched to magenta. Then did Cyan, same. Then did pink, 111, 113 and 119 switched to what looked like warm and 112, 117 and 118 went to pink. Next warm all did warm. then cool all went cool then default all went default all on (white).

Opened CCD 1'11 2020-10-17 12-54-18. Same test however this time all worked correctly even at full enter.

Opened same date 12-11-07 time. Same test. Same results as the 19th date.

Opened same date 11-55-35 time. Same result as the 19th date.

Opened two other different time files on the 17th and got same results as the 19th date.

At this point scratching my head since one file between other seemed to work ok.

Now for 3D files:

Opened 2020-10-21 15-20-39. Hex fixtures strobbed. I'm guessing this was the file I updated them in but did not reset them as should be in ML controls yet. So opened the next file on the 21st, 15-25-35 time. This time only blue did not work when going through the colors in order of pallets. Pink did work.

Opened the most curren file, next on the saved list 2020-11-4 20-46-56 and same results; blue only affected.

Next, after gtq out cse I switched 113 position with 117 position (testing the wireless position possibility on that side of the stage but again knowing that was probably not the cause since all other colors work and intensity changes everything). At full enter blue, 111-113 still stayed white (Remember 113 was now where 117 was and 117 where 113 was). So now they were from left to right def, def, blue, def, blue, blue.

Next I switched the dmx addresses of the two fixtures just to see if it follows address, fixture or both. So now the order went back to 111-113, 117-119 as they originally were but the actual fixtures changed. Same end result. first 3 remained white and last 3 blue.

Then I changed the dmx addresses on the two fixtures thinking it might be a fixture issue (but knowing it prob wasn't since 3 are doing it). So now the original 113 is 117 and the original 117 is 113 by dmx address. They just switched outcomes. So it appeared at that time the dmx address had something to do with it rather than the fixtures.

A further test: I brought out one of the spare fixtures and set it to the same dmx as 113. No matter where on the stage I put the fixture it did the same thing with blue vs all other colors. I also checked to make sure it was running 8 ch mode.

Here's where it got even more interesting: I brought the spare fixture back to the booth; open booth approx. 100' from the stage direct line of sight. All Hex at full enter. They all came on default white. Blue, same 3 on stage stayed white as well as the spare, HOWEVER about 10 seconds later it turned blue without touching the intensity.

I did lots of testing at the booth on all colors, gtq out cse then new test and so on and hard to explain but every time I did a new test on all fixtures checking all colors only the spare at the booth behaved differently each time. Sometimes all colors would come on as soon as selected and sometimes random colors would delay coming on. Most all of them Blue acted up, but once in a while it even came on right away.

I then took that spare back to the stage and it continued to behave as before, blue never came on no matter how long I sat, until I changed the intensity.

I did go into settings and switch from 3.0 to 2.9 to see if it mattered and nothing changed so I went back to 3.0.

Regarding the questions:

I will check the intensity, the 117, the Tab37 and changing the patch questions tomorrow.

Remember when picking All Hex AND All Colors (which is all the show fixtures that do color and not all colors like color pallet) 111-113 won't work on blue at FL but picking Truss Hex 111,113, 117 and 119 do turn blue; all 3 of those groups include 117 in them.

You asked if this began in 3.0. I can say that I have never experienced this issue in the many years we have been using the Element and the Hex fixtures but I can't swear on it not happening. It is doing it when going back to 2.9 but I don't know how much actually switches back exactly and how much remains as updated once 3.0 is installed.

Firmware is unknown. All purchased at the same time but I know that does not mean anything. I would have to see how to check that and get back to you on it. I sent Chauvet an email asking. Not sure what they are doing in this pandemic time.

• Update. I realized they are re-carpeting tomorrow and Fri so I went back today. I'm really thinking this is a Chauvet issue now. Here are your answers after each question then the final that I think probably changes everything.

"GoToCue Out.  Group 30 "All Hex" At Full Enter.  Color Palette 5 Enter."

(At this point, is 111-113 whiteish?) YES

"GoToCue Out.  Group 30 - Chan 117 At Full Enter.  Color Palette 5 Enter."

(111-113 is now blue?) YES  except of course 117 is off.

"Chan 117 at Full Enter"

(Do 111-113 turn white, or stay blue?) 117 does not come on as the next step. I still am working with Group 30 - Chan 117 At Full Enter.  Color Palette 5 Enter. Otherwise yes all others do go blue. When I roll down to 99% 17 comes on whiteish (default).

Do you know if all the fixtures are running the same firmware? They are all the same except 112 which is one step behind. However I took one of the spares that is the same and addressed it for 112 and it did not change any behavior.

Do their starting addresses match what's in the console, and are they all in 8-channel mode? Yes

If you open Tab 37 sACN Output Viewer, do you have any other sources online in Universe 2 except the Element? There is no data from Address to Source IP but in Universe sACN Sources it only shows Element-R9309KC (10.101.97.101)

If you go into Patch and change 117 to Address 0, does everything behave the way you expect (the same as Group 30 - Chan 117 was)? Yes and of course 117 is off.

If you set Chan 117 back to Address 2/228, then Park Address 2/228 at 254, does everything behave the way you expect? When I do that in the Park tab (blind mode) when I enter Park Address 2/228 at 254 Enter I get the error: number out of range. So I parked channel 117 in Live at 254. At that time all other fixtures do turn blue except 117 of course which remains default white.

So I gave you all the above info just in case you think there is something else happening but I did one final test. I connected 113 to hardwire dmx and it functions correctly. 111 and 112 wireless still stay default white. Next linked dmx hardwire from 113 to 112 and then all except 111 functioned correctly. Next connected all 3, 111-113 hardwire dmx and all 3 functioned properly. Now it seems to be a wireless issue but strange how it is so selective to certain channels and colors.

Chauvet did respond back right away advising me how to check the firmware and I will follow up with them further about what I now know. Unless you think of anything else. I certainly should have discovered this over the years so I still believe it's somehow related to the upgrade, but stranger things can happen.

• Hello again Jeff,

Thanks for the analysis, and my apologies for not getting back to you last week.  The difference in wired vs wireless performance is very interesting.  It really feels like 117's address/control is "stomping" on the DMX control of those other fixtures, almost like the wireless you're using introduces an offset, so that part of 117's addresses get converted to lower addresses and mess with control of 111-113. 

The only way I can think of to be sure of that would be to hook up a DMX tester at the far end of the wireless link and see how changing 117's intensity and colors affects an addresses outside its patch range.  You could also try a very old trick in the book, and patch each of these fixtures as though they were 8 individual dimmers in a row, and see how changing each one affects any others.  I would do that in a whole-new show, not working off of a saved one.  

• Hello again Jeff,

Thanks for the analysis, and my apologies for not getting back to you last week.  The difference in wired vs wireless performance is very interesting.  It really feels like 117's address/control is "stomping" on the DMX control of those other fixtures, almost like the wireless you're using introduces an offset, so that part of 117's addresses get converted to lower addresses and mess with control of 111-113. 

The only way I can think of to be sure of that would be to hook up a DMX tester at the far end of the wireless link and see how changing 117's intensity and colors affects an addresses outside its patch range.  You could also try a very old trick in the book, and patch each of these fixtures as though they were 8 individual dimmers in a row, and see how changing each one affects any others.  I would do that in a whole-new show, not working off of a saved one.  

Children
  • Hey Matt thanks for the response to new info. I don't quite follow what you are suggesting regarding the DMX tester. Regarding the 8 dimmers not sure how to patch multi channel fixtures that way.

I do wonder if I delete 117 from the patch then try the same two groups (All Hex and All colors) if 111-113 still get affected

The strangest part is when the group for 111, 113, 117 and 119 is selected at full those 4 all respond correctly. As well the same when 112 and 118 are selected at full (of course 117 is not in that group). It only seems to happen when larger groups with 117 are in them.

Also I wonder if changing 117 patch to a different address would reveal any important info or not. It does seem to only affect blue and at Full and only 111-113 when 117 is in the larger groups.

I did bring in my Chauvet FreedomPAR Hex4 fixtures and my Chauvet FlareCON transmitter for a test. They are synced to my transmitter differently. When using my transmitter to control the church Hex fixtures they don't work, so I know my transmitter is only controlling my fixtures. I set two of my fixtures to the same addresses as ch 113 and 117. So that meant I had two ch 113 fixtures and two ch 117 fixtures being controlled by different transmitters which did not talk to each other. I selected all Hex as well as all Colors groups at full and both still caused 111-113 to not respond to blue on both the church fixtures still being controlled with the church FlareCon as well as my fixtures being controlled by my FlareCON.

Chauvet it being very unhelpful. They responded with go ahead and send in the fixtures and they would look at them before offering any phone support for testing. When I added my testing results they never replied back.

The hard part is finding the source of the anomaly/ies.

Related