.blend Import Doesn't Work

Hello,

So I only just realized that Augment 3D can import a Blender file directly, which is EXTREMELY useful for what I'm doing. Like this deletes so many steps. Super cool and awesome. But the only thing is...

It doesn't work. I do the simplest possible form of a test, which is to try to import the default Blender startup scene, and it just doesn't work. No matter what I do it tells me, "Import Model: Finished with Errors. Eos import try.blend: BLEND: Expected at least one object with no parent"

It's just the default cube. It's not parented. And I tried with a very simple project file and the same thing happens. I've tried it with a Blender 4.3 Alpha, Blender 4.2, and Blender 3.5. 

I just got it to work with Blender 2.79. (Blender had a major upgrade between 2.79 and 2.8 in 2017.)The default position sync settings are off though. It comes in rotated about the x axis by 90 degrees. So it appears as though this hasn't been updated on Eos's end since at least 2017. 

https://devtalk.blender.org/t/where-are-the-official-documentations-for-the-blend-file-format/16688

https://projects.blender.org/blender/blender/src/commit/13d30e22a15a4ee675acb3761035a167c4d45222/source/blender/blenloader/intern/readfile.cc

This problem could be because there is no documentation for the .blend file format, at least not that I can find here. I linked to what I think is the C++ that builds them though, in case that helps.

I tried using Blender 2.79 to parse and re-save the newer .blends in the older file format Eos understands, but it doesn't seem to be able to find the meshes either. Probably for the same reason Eos can't.

Parents
  • Update: I figured out that exporting from Blender as a collada file provides the same advantages as .blend (separated loose parts), and that method actually works without issue. 

Respectfully recommend removing .blend support with added note in the documentation pointing Blender people in the direction of Collada for multi-part scene-wide imports.

A key differentiation is between multi-part imports (where you can have multiple, loose objects in the same file and maintain spatial relationships upon import) and something like a .obj import where it's just a single mesh.

• Update: I figured out that exporting from Blender as a collada file provides the same advantages as .blend (separated loose parts), and that method actually works without issue. 

Respectfully recommend removing .blend support with added note in the documentation pointing Blender people in the direction of Collada for multi-part scene-wide imports.

A key differentiation is between multi-part imports (where you can have multiple, loose objects in the same file and maintain spatial relationships upon import) and something like a .obj import where it's just a single mesh.

Children
No Data
Related