Locking a Console via OSC ?

Hi there, 

I'm wondering whether via OSC, it is possible to Lock a Console ?

I can see both the Shift + Escape commands in the Key Reference Guide, but wonder whether the console supports Key Down on 1 while you press the other.

If this is possible, does the console accept OSC Commands while locked. I assume User 0 background commands would still work, but User 1's command line would need to be unlocked via the face panel ?

This would be very useful ! 

Many thanks

James

Parents
  • Hi James,
    you can lock the console with OSC.

The trick is to send a shift keypress 1 than the esc keypress 1 when the button
    is down, when the button is up you send first shift keypress 0 and then escape keypress 0.
    -> SHIFT 1, ESCAPE 1, SHIFT 0, ESCAPE 0
    The OSC sequence SHIFT 1, ESCAPE 1, ESCAPE 0, SHIFT 0 doesn't work.

It is a litte bit different, e.g. you have a button to fire a MACRO and another button for LOCK
    - MACRO and LOCK have the same user -> when locked the macro button don't work.
    - MACRO user 0, LOCK user 1 -> it works as expected, the MACRO can done in background.
    - MACRO user 1, LOCK user 0 -> when MACRO is pressed, the macro overrides the lock state,
      you have to press the LOCK button twice the get the console locked again.

• Thanks for the explanation.

so to specify a user I would use (in Qlab for example):

/eos/user/0
    /eos/key/Shift
    argument - 1.0
    /eos/key/Escape
    argument - 1.0
    /eos/key/Shift
    argument - 0.0
    /eos/key/Escape
    argument - 0.0

Is that the right syntax ? I'm not sure if the double argument is correct. I referred to Sam's post on the matter in this thread:
    community.etcconnect.com/.../77665

Would I just fire that same sequence again to unlock it ? I'm not sure I quite follow the macro logic - I thought the "Lock" that is provided in the Macro commands in the CIA was the toggle for locking / unlocking Palettes ?

I've downloaded the list of commands but am struggling to find any examples ...

James
  • That sequence should work, it is a toggeling function.
  • Thank you, I tried this this morning but it seems I can only have 1 line of OSC string in a Qlab network cue. (i.e. when I press return it doesn't allow entry of more text). Presumably I then need to have ten cues in a group with 0.1 second delay to send these in order ?

Does anyone else wish there was a simple OSC application for Mac / PC that allowed you to fire a series of OSC strings at another device. Like TouchOSC does I suppose, but as a desktop application. It would be great if that had some rudimentary scripting support, so you could drag data from a CSV or Excel and send it to Eos.

Many thanks

James
  • Hi James,
    try with grouping like you mentioned.

Did you ever tried https://github.com/ETCLabs/OSCWidgets or https://www.luminosus.org ?
    Maybe this works for you.

• Yes I'd had a look at both. I'd thought of Luminosus as more of an intermediate application between say a MIDI controller and Eos.

And I couldn't see any obvious way of scripting ETC's OSC Widgets or providing input from another source.

(Both excellent applications / tools by the way, just couldn't immediately think of a way to apply them to my problem.)

Specifically, I was thinking if I had a spreadsheet with cue notes, or a patch spreadsheet with fixture data I wanted to merge into text fields, it would be great to have an application that did something along the lines of:

Get data from open excel / numbers front most sheet, A2.
    Query does Eos Patch have a channel matching that ?
    If yes, write data from B2 in Eos field Text 1.
    Write Data from C2 in Eos field Text 2.
    etc etc

Repeat for A3, A4, A5, A6 etc 
    Stop when you reach an empty cell.

Similar tools for labelling colour palettes, cues, scenes, macros, etc etc.

Similarly you could use an excel sheet to list a series of Eos osc strings, and then have this application submit them in order.

• Moving Light Assistant can do much of what you describe. I wouldn't call it a simple program, however... it's a pretty significant investment. In the past, I've used MLA as an interface when I've wanted to send a series of OSC commands to Eos based on CSV data, but I've had to write the scripts to do that myself—this isn't built-in functionality.  MLA scripting is all written in Lua, which is simple enough to figure out if you aren't familiar, and MLA has a basic framework for sending OSC commands. MLA is already aware of cue and patch data so you wouldn't need to import a special CSV for those. Other record targets would be a little more complicated to read/write, but not impossible.  

• Moving Light Assistant can do much of what you describe. I wouldn't call it a simple program, however... it's a pretty significant investment. In the past, I've used MLA as an interface when I've wanted to send a series of OSC commands to Eos based on CSV data, but I've had to write the scripts to do that myself—this isn't built-in functionality.  MLA scripting is all written in Lua, which is simple enough to figure out if you aren't familiar, and MLA has a basic framework for sending OSC commands. MLA is already aware of cue and patch data so you wouldn't need to import a special CSV for those. Other record targets would be a little more complicated to read/write, but not impossible.  

Children
No Data
Related