OSX Client with 2 NIC's

HI all,

We have a Mac Mini with 2 NIC's. One on the normal IT Network and the second to connect to the console for OSC. Whilst this is working I can't change the IP address  EOS Nomad wants to connect to to the second IP address. It is locked to the first IP. And no I can't change the order of my network interfaces, because of the changes in the routing.

Is there a way to change the IP in the shell?

Regards

Parents Reply Children
  • OK what you could do is as has been suggested change the order of the network cards using the standard mac dialog which as you say would then mean you corporate network traffic would end up on your lighting network, which you dont want.

To stop that happening is actually simple, you just tell the mac not to route traffic to that network card other that stuff that is for that local network.

The command to do that which you type in in terminal on the mac is similar to

sudo route delete default 192.168.0.1

replacing the 192.168.0.1 with whatever the address of the default route is on the non corporate network connection (assuming there is even one, if there isn't one then you actually didn't have a problem swapping the order of the interfaces in the first place as none of the non lighting traffic would be going over that link anyway)

To see how the network is setup and to get the address of the route to delete the command is

netstat -rn | more

(that is a - followed by an r and then an n. It looks a bit like an m on the font on this forum)

which will give you something like

Routing tables
    Internet:
    Destination Gateway Flags Refs Use Netif Expire
    default 192.168.0.1 UGSc 12 0 en0
    default 172.20.0.1 UGSc 8 0 en1
    127 127.0.0.1 UCS 0 0 lo0

and from there you can see that you have a default route set on both interfaces so doing the route delete will remove that first one on my machine.

Hope that makes sense and its not as complicated as it sounds.

BTW this is not a permanent change it will go away on reboot and often on pulling out the network cable or adaptor and putting it back in.

• BTW this is not a permanent change it will go away on reboot and often on pulling out the network cable or adaptor and putting it back in.

Therein lies the problem :-\
  • If you try it and it works ok for you then I can tell you how to make it permanent, I didn't want to give you or anyone else out there the instruction to make it permanent until you had tested and got the addresses correct, and checked you could still access your corporate non lighting network :)

Let me know when it works for you and I'll give you the next bit.
Related