Kino select 30 color profiles

Hi there, sorry if this has been answered already.

I'm having a real hell of a time trying to find fixture profiles for the Kino Flo select 30 in color mode to use on my ions. The current fixture library seems to only have a profile for white mode. I called Kino and asked if they had any leads on tracking down the profile, they said it was up to ETC to put them out.

I know I could make a custom profile, but it doesn't seem to match up the gel picker properly.

Thanks for the help!

Parents
  • In the latest fixture library update there's a fixture for Kino 'Diva-lite', this has the same fixture profile as Select 30 so you can use this.

I had some of these fixtures at the beginning of the week and Diva profile worked fine. I wasn't using any of the gel matches but they seemed to be in if I remember correctly.
  • This reply was deleted.
  • The 'Diva-Lite LED' has the same DMX mapping as the Select LED and the Diva-Lite is in the fixture library they just don't call them LED.

As I said I used the used the Select Fixtures at the beginning of the week but I didn't test any of the colour I just adjusted colour temp.

Attached is a showfile with just these fixtures from the update fix lib if needed (but they are called Diva), although I would assume they are in the release 2.5.2 software.

Diva_Select Kino Flo's 2017-03-31 10-33-46.esf

• My apologies to you Nick! Your info is spot on. THANKS. Deleting my previous post.
  • So upon testing, I was able to control intensity and colour temp, but no dice on colour control. Back to the drawing board.
  • Are you trying to control Gel settings?

The values are a little confusing looking at the manual. I would try setting the tint to -100 this is 0 DMX so I don't know if this is what Kino Flo are calling >3.

This is a screenshot from the 7 channel fixtures, I've set the Colour Mix parameter using a DMX values by using / / to set DMX. Adjusting the tint value should switch over to the Gel number at some point. Maybe setting the ColourMix param to 22 (deep magenta) would be easier to see.

• Yeah, I was trying to use the gel selector. I see what your saying about the tint and color mix, that's working for scrolling through the colors, but it's not really the greatest way of controling these fixtures for the go go go of the film business.

I wonder what the deal with this is, like is it the way kino has set their lights up that you can't use the color picker?
  • It's part Kino and part the company that make the fixture library raw data for ETC (the same people that supply MA, Jands and other companies) but also leads to a bigger question also.

Kino needs to provide more colour data for the first 8 Kino Colours, also they don't point out the other colours are Lee (which I'm assuming they are). To be fair to Kino they have kept the same fixture profile across fixture which makes things easy.

It also asks the bigger question about how much this is the job of the programmer/operator. I needed these fixtures for a EPK shoot so I took the time to check if the fixtures were in the library, they weren't so I checked the updated fixture library and they were in. I downloaded the new library, update my Nomad and added the fixtures to a blank showfile and then merge the fixtures into main show so I didn't need to update the main shows library.

I also took the time to check the fixtures in the library looked close to DMX chart on the Kino website so I at least know I could make them work.

You could go and edit the fixture yourself and add ranges for each colour. These would then be displayed in ML controls.

I did a couple here for you to see.

You could also change the parameter to color select or scroller and then add in the correct colours and not just the labels by making a New Wheel in patch. This has a few problems to work around because of the DMX spacing.

A third option is to make Colour Palettes for each of the colours, this is quick to do now and would just take time to label.

Go into Blind Colour Palettes, make 115 blank palettes. CP 1 Thru Thru 115.

Channel X Color Mix 04 Thru 232 Enter, you now have 115 CP the correct values but just need a label.

You'd only need to do this once and then you would have a fixture you could move from shoot to shoot and make you much quicker then other people doing the same job.

I know some programmers that have base showfile which have taken a thousand hour plus to make. This helps them work quicker.

So the short answer is, yes ETC can make the fixture better (it may still not work in the colour picker through because they'd need more info) but also as a programmer/operator employed on a gig I could make these fixtures quicker to use if I spend some of my own time improving things.

• Ok gentlemen. I spoke with a KINO representative at Cinegear. There are 3 modes for all of the new KINO color stuff (including the DIVA mentioned above). 1) "White Mode" 2) "Gels/Hue Mode" & 3) "RGB Color Mode" The DMX mapping may be just fine with everything you are trying...BUT (and this is a big one), the mode MUST BE SELECTED MANUALLY at the HEAD. In other words, there is NO DMX channel to switch from "White Mode" to "RGB Color Mode" a la Skypanel's "Crossfade" channel. KINO is going to enable this function eventually but it will be through RDM.  

• We're talking about gels hue mode at both ends, but we can't get any color to show up. 

Reply Children
Related