upgrade lost patch

This may be expected however I found it a surprise.

I started creating a show from last year's show. Patch was changed significantly. Magic Sheet changed (actually new one created then old one pasted onto new one then edited from there). Cues still the same. Still needed to delete old cues for the new show and make new ones. Groups, pallets, etc. all the same when I realized I forgot to upgrade to the latest version, which was only two versions off anyway. The last two came pretty close together.

Anyway I save my show files very often and to three different locations; one console, one external drive, one another external drive. So after a bunch of saves to all those locations during my work and then again before the upgrade I exited and did the version upgrade.

Opened the last saved show file and all looked okay except the patch was something I had done pretty close to starting. So it was not the old patch but far from the new one.

I opened the show file from another save and same thing. I then tried merging the patch from the third location and still the same. Everything else was as saved before the upgrade.

So I re-patched and continued.

Expected?

Parents Reply
  • ETC_Logs_Ion_Primary_06212018_214006.zip

Ok so I saved the log files. I can't pinpoint an exact time but it was supposed to be Monday, 6/18/18 HOWEVER I just discovered my console has been running one day behind so the log file would actually be Sunday, 6/17/18. I'm going to guess sometime after lunch but I just can't remember when I did the update then had to go in and change the patch and rework.

I just picked 11am for the time and added a plus sign after am.

You will see the date of this saved log zip file as 6/21/18 but again, that's because my calendar was behind one day.

I changed my calendar just now to the correct date. I never really look at that because I only have the time showing on my monitors.

Children
  • Hi Jeff,

Thanks for noting the discrepancy with the dates.
    I had a look through and didn't see anything in the logs that seemed out of the ordinary.

Noteable times:
    6/17 9:48 the shell notes the console was improperly shutdown
    6/17 9:49 Eos starts version 2.6.4
    6/17 13:36 Eos starts version 2.7.1.7
  • The improper shutdown surprised me. It was my first boot up at the venue since the last event and I don't know why it shut down on the last event.
    version 2.6.4 would have been my start up for the new venue right after the improper shutdown message.
    So if the logs show 13:36 started the new version then right after that when I booted back up and opened the file the patch was gone. There should be a few saves between 9:49 and 13:36, all having the new patch. Humm. nothing showing. How strange.
  • In the shell, is the version of the software the same as the version of the fixture library? I've had a similar problem, when those where not the same. In my case somehow the software installed without (updating) the library. A re-install of the software solved my problem.

(In my case it had to do with two different user accounts in windows. The library only installs to the account from which the software update is done, the software itself installs for all user accounts.)
  • I will check both versions. Only one user account to my knowledge.
  • So i am looking at it. Fix lib ver 2.7.0.68 OS ver 2.2.0.9.0.3 Img prov ver 1.1.0.9.0.57 Welcome screen ver 2.7.0.147
    So i assume they are not the same however arent library updates different than software updates?
    Also is the library version supposed to always be the same number as the software update number when updating software?
    I did an update again but the file shows 2.7.1.7 which created a uninstall/repair screen. I picked repair and it returned with the same versions after the reboot.
    I’ve always been confused what version number is what and this confirmed my confusion again. The upgrade .exe file is a different number than the library which is also different than the welcome screen.
  • I replied to this and thought I sent it however I don’t see it now in the forums on my phone so I am resending my reply.
    Right now the fixture library version is 2.7.0.68 the 0S version is 2.2.0.9.0.3 the image provisioning version is 1.1.0.9.0.57 and the welcome screen version is 2.7. 0.147.
    I just now did a software update using ETC EOS family version 2.7.1.7.exe and that generated a Uninstall/Repair screen, which of course means that version has already been installed.

I chose to repair then reboot and the general screen shows all of the same versions as before.

I have always been confused what version is what. In this case The fixture library version is different then the welcome screen version which I assume are the two versions you were speaking about and those two versions are different than the upgrade EXE file.

I am also wondering if the library version should always be the same as the software version him an update.

If so I would think that the library versions will quickly be different than the operating version because the library is usually updated more often than the operating version.
  • The Eos Software version number is displayed when you launch Eos, you can see it in the splash screen when Eos starts and by pressing [About] with a clear command line. It is not displayed alongside those other version numbers in the shell where you see those other version numbers.

The version numbers you will generally need to pay attention to when upgrading is the Eos Software version and the Fixture Library version.

The fixture library version will not match up exactly with the Eos Software version. It must match the Major and Minor version numbers (2.7) but the last two numbers, Patch and Build, do not need to match. The Fixture Library version and Eos Software (installer) do not need to match up in their entirety.
Related