ETC Nomad Setup for dummies

Hello,

I purchased Nomad system for my school and I need to set it up. However, there seems to be nothing that actually sets up a step by step set up process. the tutorials don't seem to be specifically about the Nomad or Gadget II they just talk about specific systems. Can anyone point me to something that is meant for people just starting with this? 

Thanks

Parents
  • First, I should note that rarely have I been able to log on to this web page.  After a week of trying, I finally could log on.The user name and password are already saved, so it is not that I am entering the wrong info. So, something with the web site is inhibiting the ability for a novice to even ask questions here. Anyway,..

Addressing the issue of creating a way for novices to get started; I find that a great deal of what is available already assumes the novice is experienced.

I was reading some of the instructions, and one said;

"One channel can be any of the following:
    A Source Four with a Color Scroller"

This bit of instructions is intended to teach that is it possible for two separate fixtures can be configured to be one channel and treated as though they were one device like an intelligent light.

However, the writer is assuming that the reader knows what a Source Four is, and what a color scroller is.  I do... but if someone is new to a lighting console, they are less likely to know specific models. And with the advent of LED fixtures, young people are less likely to know what a color scroller is.

So, here is a rewrite of that last phrase;

"A pair of devices can be treated like a single fixture.  For example a traditional ellipsoid fixture, with an ad-on device like a color scroller"

So even if the reader has never heard of a color scroller before, they can understand what the instructions are trying to communicate.

I think that ETC needs to start from scratch and create a new set of instructions that will get a person up to some level of proficiency.  Note that I am talking about a document that should be at least 50 pages.

I am also convinced that the Nomad software needs to be rewritten, or perhaps a totally difference program that follows modern computer standards.  Its history as software running on a console has caused it to take a path that is not going to be user friendly.

-Joe

• I should note that rarely have I been able to log on to this web page

maybe this has something to do with that? community.etcconnect.com/.../can-t-login-using-firefox

Reply Children
Related