ETC Nomad Setup for dummies

Hello,

I purchased Nomad system for my school and I need to set it up. However, there seems to be nothing that actually sets up a step by step set up process. the tutorials don't seem to be specifically about the Nomad or Gadget II they just talk about specific systems. Can anyone point me to something that is meant for people just starting with this? 

Thanks

• Hi Chris,

Since Nomad is a computer program, it would help if you let us know what kind of computer and other peripherals you have. You mentioned Gadget II - is your system going to be using networking at all or just DMX output via the Gadget?

I assume that you have a Nomad dongle - that is necessary before you can output DMX.

-Todd

• Hi Todd,

I purchased the Nomad Educational package for my school. I am using the dongle that came with it and a gadget II on a PC running Windows 10. I have tried to use the setup guide, and have chosen the EOS for programming. This will be my primary controller. I plan to use Just DMX output via the gadget. 

I am replacing a Smartfade 24/48 because I want to add newer fixtures to our lighting equipment. 

• I am afraid the setup guide at that link assumes you are using the software with a console.  It lists, 

But, no option to just work with the software without a console or to use one of ETCs USB to DMX output Gadget.

After over an hour of searching for the user manual for the software, I could not find it.

The software starts up with an apparent requirement that you choose a console.  One guess I have is that it may want you to choose one that emulates a console.  You must choose between an Eos and some other name, but I don't want to start the software to check, since the only apparent way to exit is Cntl-Alt-Delete. It is definitely NOT a Windows type of interface at all, and has the feel of an old DOS program. 

I tried to find some getting started videos by Eos or 3rd parties, but so far they all assume you are using the software with a console.

-Joe

• Hi Joe,

I can see the confusion if it’s your first delve into EOS… a couple of quick notes. EOS is a family of products from the EOS itself to the Nomad puck/dongle/software. “Technically” the only differences are the physical interface. 

the manual is the same because the software is the same. Though there are some differences like face panel buttons on the EOS, ability to control motorized fader wings and so on. 

in your case as you’re not looking to be a client to a physical surface your console choice is “fairly arbitrary”, but my best advice is to emulate the console you think you might one day get as you may find the limits of the dongle and gadget sooner than later if you’re expanding your inventory. 

hope this helps! If you haven’t yet watched it the EOS playlist of the learning stage YouTube is a great step by step walkthrough of the EOS softwares. 

• I just have to add that I’m so happy to see your email because this is EXACTLY the issue I’m having and I feel like a complete idiot which I’m not. I’m sure the program is great . Once you can actually figure out how to open it . I have an incredible amount of files and I have no idea which one I should open or where the instructions are located . I have watched all sorts of video tutorials on their website but not one of them takes you thru the process from the beginning which is so frustrating. I’m far from technically inept but this program is making me feel like an idiot. 
    like I said, I’m sure it’s amazing once it’s set up. 
    sure would be nice if someone just gave you a step by step walkthrough of what to do. I can’t say reading this thread helped me at all. But at least I know it’s not just me !

• the reason why the introduction link references 3 consoles is that ETCnomad is a term used in all of ETC's three console families. when ETC writes ETCnomad other manufacturers might call this Offline Editor or OnPC. so without saying which console family software you want to use on your computer the introduction can't help you.

as soon as you choose e.g. Eos, the guide will show you which steps you have to take before the regular Eos software manual can take over.

ETCnomad Eos is a windows style program in that it has the X at the top right hand corner which allows you to close it.

• the installation program should have placed a link to the application on your desktop as well as in the start menu. depending on the software version you installed it's called either "Launch Eos Family" or launch Eos Family v3" on the desktop. in the start menu it's listed in the folder ETC.

• First, I should note that rarely have I been able to log on to this web page.  After a week of trying, I finally could log on.The user name and password are already saved, so it is not that I am entering the wrong info. So, something with the web site is inhibiting the ability for a novice to even ask questions here. Anyway,..

Addressing the issue of creating a way for novices to get started; I find that a great deal of what is available already assumes the novice is experienced.

I was reading some of the instructions, and one said;

"One channel can be any of the following:
    A Source Four with a Color Scroller"

This bit of instructions is intended to teach that is it possible for two separate fixtures can be configured to be one channel and treated as though they were one device like an intelligent light.

However, the writer is assuming that the reader knows what a Source Four is, and what a color scroller is.  I do... but if someone is new to a lighting console, they are less likely to know specific models. And with the advent of LED fixtures, young people are less likely to know what a color scroller is.

So, here is a rewrite of that last phrase;

"A pair of devices can be treated like a single fixture.  For example a traditional ellipsoid fixture, with an ad-on device like a color scroller"

So even if the reader has never heard of a color scroller before, they can understand what the instructions are trying to communicate.

I think that ETC needs to start from scratch and create a new set of instructions that will get a person up to some level of proficiency.  Note that I am talking about a document that should be at least 50 pages.

I am also convinced that the Nomad software needs to be rewritten, or perhaps a totally difference program that follows modern computer standards.  Its history as software running on a console has caused it to take a path that is not going to be user friendly.

-Joe

• did you find a solution?  I am trying to set up this software in mirror mode to our main board...but so far no luck

any help?

• I should note that rarely have I been able to log on to this web page

maybe this has something to do with that? community.etcconnect.com/.../can-t-login-using-firefox

• Yes, that was the issue. I have been using Firefox. But using Opera at the moment.

• I have pretty much given up.  There really isn't any get-started guide for Nomad. And the tutorials ETC has on Youtube are useless if you are getting started. 

We initially had someone with prior training and years of experience set things up for us, and I have been able to do a few basic things with his pre-set things. But, he is very busy, and not able to help on a regular basis. We are trying to hire someone to do our weekly show. 

If we can't find someone, we will sell our Nomad key and perhaps try another set of software.  Or perhaps if we hire someone with experience on another software, use whatever software they have used.

-joe

• A fully featured lighting control platform is never going to be the super simple experience that I think you are hoping for. However, Eos is probably one of the most intuitive and easiest platforms to just get started as long as you understand basic lighting concepts. I'm not sure it is ETC's responsibility to teach people the skill of lighting, that is the responsibility of schools, colleges and the wider industry. It's entirely reasonable to expect an understanding of the core concepts in lighting desk training materials.

It seems like some training might be beneficial to help you get to grips with everything. I'm sure if you had a look at the training options here, you would be able to find the support you need. 

Thanks

Dan

Related