ETC Nomad Setup for dummies

Hello,

I purchased Nomad system for my school and I need to set it up. However, there seems to be nothing that actually sets up a step by step set up process. the tutorials don't seem to be specifically about the Nomad or Gadget II they just talk about specific systems. Can anyone point me to something that is meant for people just starting with this? 

Thanks

• I am a tech-head type of guy.  I've programmed machine language to make a '286 control servo motors through the parallel port.  I've used more traditional lighting boards since the 80's, and used basic robotic lighting fixtures.  It shouldn't be this hard for me to get started. As I wrote earlier, even super basic stuff for any program such as getting the documentation, or figuring out how to close the Nomad program, is a major challenge and requires direct help from someone who knows the program already.

I come from an age when a home computer came with manuals that stacked 6" high.  That age is gone, and it is a rarity to see good documentation.   Nomad may be the easiest lighting program to get started on, but I think that is a testimony to how bad the other ones are, rather than ETCs good documentation.

• Hi Joe - I'm sorry to hear that your experience with Eos and Nomad have been frustrating.

As you and others have described here, Eos installed on a computer feels like the console software detached from hardware - because it is. Eos is top-tier control that operates some of the biggest and most complicated shows in the world. Installed on a computer, we also call it "Eos offline," because the folks who work on these shows use it to edit files when not in the theater / on set. They know the console extremely well, so the software makes sense to them with keyboard shortcuts that fill in for a dedicated face panel.

This isn't to excuse our current state, it is just for some context. I am acutely aware that if you are learning Eos software without a console, it can be a tough experience. I'm committed to making Eos on a computer more accessible and intuitive, without losing its capabilities. This will happen slowly though many development cycles - we have lots of other work on our plate that we must balance. But my hope is that if you decide to stick with us, you'll see improvements as we release new versions over time. I'll also be working with our manual writer to fill out that document more (which is available in the software, as well as online). For some stopgap help, I will work with our video team to get some Nomad-specific resources produced.

Like the other systems you've mentioned programming previously, Eos has a syntax - it has to be spoken to in a certain way to operate. We use a command line, with similar-to-English syntax. If you're looking to dive in, get the keyboard shortcuts handy (or use the in-system popup keypad, upper right, next to the clock), and try running a few of the video exercises in our Level 1 training. I am hopeful that once you get comfortable with a few of the channel controls and recording of cues, that you'll start to feel better about how the system thinks.

Something else to consider (which has helped other folks on computers) is getting a USB programmable keypad, like X-Keys, to emulate a console face panel - so you're not having to remember keyboard shortcuts, and so the keys are laid out in a more intuitive way. If you're interested in something like this, I can provide links to units that folks have deployed successfully. 

In addition, one of the best things about owning ETC product is that you have access to phone support 24/7/365 - give them a ring and someone will help with whatever you're running into. If you prefer, you can also email them, and they reply within 24 hours (support@etcconnect.com).

If you have suggestions for ways we can improve, you are always welcome to post them to this forum, or to contact me directly (email below). Thanks for your feedback, stay well.

~n~

Nick Gonsman
    Eos Family Product Manager
    e: nick.gonsman@etcconnect.com

• Thank you for the detailed reply.  I am  very glad to hear that  you are addressing these issues.

I will mention that the 1st thin you need to do, is on the web page. Explain what Nomad is using the same description as you used in the message above. Also include a direct link to whatever manual you want the Nomad-only users to download. That was a complete mystery, and I needed help from you to do that very basic thing.

2nd, At the home screen of the Nomad program, make it obvious how to change to a standard graphics window that can be closed using the standard interface (i.e. windows or  Mac OS). This is so user's don't have to default to a Cntl-Atl-Delete to get out of the program.  Alternatively, have the program default to a GUI compliant interface. The experienced users can change the default start-up to be the full screen option.

You referred me to the a Getting Started Video..   But the  Nomad purchaser, who is not familiar with the EOS line of consoles, is going to be lost. Finding them will be a challenge, because they purchased a Nomad. But, the titles for neither the manuals or videos refer to Nomad.  And even when you find them, the video is just not sufficient for the complete novice.

The new video, and/or getting-started manual, that you are pursuing could explain things enough to allow the user to learn from existing videos.  But, as things are now, the existing videos are completely useless for the Nomad novice.

I even suspect that this new getting started stuff could be fairly brief.  Just be sure to get the input from a complete novice. Sit by them as they go through the process of purchasing the product. Every time they get stuck, or ask you a question, that is something  that you must address.  Someone with experience on the EOS will be quite unable to provide the info you need in the getting started content.

It may be that you should produce a few getting-started to bring people up to speed on lighting control. One video that explains some of the basic concepts of what DMX is. Then another on how DMX is used in traditional lighting fixture, LED Pars, and Robotic lights.  If someone purchasing Nomad is a complete novice on lighting, then tell them to view those videos first.

• Hello Chris,

It may be that you should produce a few getting-started to bring people up to speed on lighting control. One video that explains some of the basic concepts of what DMX is. Then another on how DMX is used in traditional lighting fixture, LED Pars, and Robotic lights.  If someone purchasing Nomad is a complete novice on lighting, then tell them to view those videos first.

I don't know if ETC is only responsible for that.

But they have wonderfull training courses you can do online.

There are as well some "Bobblehead Fred" Videos for free on youtube, at the ETC-Channel.

And many more stuff for you to dive in.

As well as the marvelous tech support, mentioned by Nick as well.

2nd, At the home screen of the Nomad program, make it obvious how to change to a standard graphics window that can be closed using the standard interface (i.e. windows or  Mac OS). This is so user's don't have to default to a Cntl-Atl-Delete to get out of the program.

When using Windows you always can use Alt+F4 to close Programs. This Shortcut works as well for this Program (ETCnomad).

Those are just some little tips. Nick allready made his point as an official ETC Person.

And in the End, you told us you are at a school. So please keep up the good work and never stop learning.

Thank you.

• An interesting development is that another person has taken a stab at learning the Nomad where I volunteer. This person had no lighting board experience.  He has now spent two full days now seeking to learn it using the manual, and online videos.  I will add that this person is unusually quick to learn things overall.  He has made amazing progress.

His learning was made a bit more difficult with things like not knowing what a DMX universe is.  So, I was able to help him fill in some knowledge gaps.  Still, it meant a lot of frustration and wasted time.  I can see that it is not ETC's job to teach the very basics. But, still 10 minutes, or even 5 minutes of introduction to things they expect you to know before viewing  the other videos would probably solve this issue. Or a just provide a link to someone else's video.

Seeing this person and their success has made me evaluate my own frustration with it.  I was frustrated with things as basic as finding a manual, or any videos, since the word Nomad is not used to label what ETC has available. But this new person had me to get him over that hurdle.  He didn't have to start with hours of wasted time.  I also was able to direct him past the misunderstandings that I had about what Nomad is.

The new guy was able to start learning from a very different point of view.  I really think that ETC can provide similar help for the novice immensely, with only a little effort.

• I’m going to chime in here a year later as another new Nomad user, on the Mac side. I’m coming from an Express (OLD school), and we’re about to get an EOS console, so in the interim, I’m trying to figure out the software. here we are a year later from this thread, and the software UI is still not even remotely intuitive (and I don’t think it’s from a lack of hardware control surface buttons).

I see frequent references to the Fixture Editor (I need to create entries for our vintage Sensor dimming rack modules, which ETC inexplicably forgot to include in the software), but the software UI doesn’t really tell you how to get there, nor does the documentation. Gone are the normal menus that one typically finds on a Mac or PC application. The built in “manual” tab is very difficult to navigate, and won’t let you open section headers… so I can tell that there *is* a fixture editor, but I couldn’t tell you how to get to it if my life depended on it. 

there needs to be some significant improvement of the documentation (have someone who has not designed the product develop the documentation, so that no assumptions are being made and steps omitted because they seemed obvious to the person that designed them), and make some significant improvements to the software UI. 

• this is the section in the manual that tells you how to get to the fixture editor: https://www.etcconnect.com/webdocs/Controls/EosFamilyOnlineHelp/en-US/Default.htm#05_Patch/07_Fixture_Editor/About_the_Fixture_Editor.htm

the vintage sensor dimming modules you're referring to, can they do things other than dim conventional fixtures? if not, then just patch them as regular dimmers.

• Probably what is most maddening about it as a new user is that normal software UI conventions like multiple selections have been completely thrown out the window. 

• Trying to create a relay module - also baffling that this wasn’t included in the stock list. 

and I seem to have stumbled into getting it created, but changing a group of channels within a single patch seems to be impossible, making me do it individually. 

• For that matter, I’m not even 100% sure this is the right approach - I have a bunch of ArcSystem house lights that require about 40 relays to be activated to turn them on, and then they are dimmable (they were set up as banks sharing an address, it seems)… 

• is the module in your dimmer an actual relay? then you can use the NonDim fixture profile that you find in the Generic manaufacturer. of course you can also use this profile if you connect to a dimemr module, but while this will switch on and of the channel it will not make it into an actual relay.

• you're using a software that's made for command line interaction. everthing you do ends up in the command line. if you want to change multiple channels at the same time you will hape to type them into the command line (or use the mouse to click channels which finally will write them in the command line).

• Yes, the arcsystem was retrofitted onto the Sensor Wiring (previous house lights were dimmed from the same rack), but the fixtures themselves, once they’re on, then have a DMX to ArcSystem mapping for dimming control. 

I was able to create a fixture with two modes labeled “on” and “off” at 0 and 100… I’ll need to do some testing in the space to see how much time they need to boot up once power is applied before I can send a dimming command. 

• As someone who spends an unhealthy amount of my professional life in a CLI (I’m a network engineer), I can appreciate the CLI aspect of it, but bolting it onto a GUI could have been done a lot better. 

Related