ETC Nomad Setup for dummies

Hello,

I purchased Nomad system for my school and I need to set it up. However, there seems to be nothing that actually sets up a step by step set up process. the tutorials don't seem to be specifically about the Nomad or Gadget II they just talk about specific systems. Can anyone point me to something that is meant for people just starting with this? 

Thanks

Parents
  • I have pretty much given up.  There really isn't any get-started guide for Nomad. And the tutorials ETC has on Youtube are useless if you are getting started. 

We initially had someone with prior training and years of experience set things up for us, and I have been able to do a few basic things with his pre-set things. But, he is very busy, and not able to help on a regular basis. We are trying to hire someone to do our weekly show. 

If we can't find someone, we will sell our Nomad key and perhaps try another set of software.  Or perhaps if we hire someone with experience on another software, use whatever software they have used.

-joe

• A fully featured lighting control platform is never going to be the super simple experience that I think you are hoping for. However, Eos is probably one of the most intuitive and easiest platforms to just get started as long as you understand basic lighting concepts. I'm not sure it is ETC's responsibility to teach people the skill of lighting, that is the responsibility of schools, colleges and the wider industry. It's entirely reasonable to expect an understanding of the core concepts in lighting desk training materials.

It seems like some training might be beneficial to help you get to grips with everything. I'm sure if you had a look at the training options here, you would be able to find the support you need. 

Thanks

Dan

• A fully featured lighting control platform is never going to be the super simple experience that I think you are hoping for. However, Eos is probably one of the most intuitive and easiest platforms to just get started as long as you understand basic lighting concepts. I'm not sure it is ETC's responsibility to teach people the skill of lighting, that is the responsibility of schools, colleges and the wider industry. It's entirely reasonable to expect an understanding of the core concepts in lighting desk training materials.

It seems like some training might be beneficial to help you get to grips with everything. I'm sure if you had a look at the training options here, you would be able to find the support you need. 

Thanks

Dan

Children
  • I am a tech-head type of guy.  I've programmed machine language to make a '286 control servo motors through the parallel port.  I've used more traditional lighting boards since the 80's, and used basic robotic lighting fixtures.  It shouldn't be this hard for me to get started. As I wrote earlier, even super basic stuff for any program such as getting the documentation, or figuring out how to close the Nomad program, is a major challenge and requires direct help from someone who knows the program already.

I come from an age when a home computer came with manuals that stacked 6" high.  That age is gone, and it is a rarity to see good documentation.   Nomad may be the easiest lighting program to get started on, but I think that is a testimony to how bad the other ones are, rather than ETCs good documentation.

Related