ETC Nomad Setup for dummies

Hello,

I purchased Nomad system for my school and I need to set it up. However, there seems to be nothing that actually sets up a step by step set up process. the tutorials don't seem to be specifically about the Nomad or Gadget II they just talk about specific systems. Can anyone point me to something that is meant for people just starting with this? 

Thanks

Parents
  • I have pretty much given up.  There really isn't any get-started guide for Nomad. And the tutorials ETC has on Youtube are useless if you are getting started. 

We initially had someone with prior training and years of experience set things up for us, and I have been able to do a few basic things with his pre-set things. But, he is very busy, and not able to help on a regular basis. We are trying to hire someone to do our weekly show. 

If we can't find someone, we will sell our Nomad key and perhaps try another set of software.  Or perhaps if we hire someone with experience on another software, use whatever software they have used.

-joe

• An interesting development is that another person has taken a stab at learning the Nomad where I volunteer. This person had no lighting board experience.  He has now spent two full days now seeking to learn it using the manual, and online videos.  I will add that this person is unusually quick to learn things overall.  He has made amazing progress.

His learning was made a bit more difficult with things like not knowing what a DMX universe is.  So, I was able to help him fill in some knowledge gaps.  Still, it meant a lot of frustration and wasted time.  I can see that it is not ETC's job to teach the very basics. But, still 10 minutes, or even 5 minutes of introduction to things they expect you to know before viewing  the other videos would probably solve this issue. Or a just provide a link to someone else's video.

Seeing this person and their success has made me evaluate my own frustration with it.  I was frustrated with things as basic as finding a manual, or any videos, since the word Nomad is not used to label what ETC has available. But this new person had me to get him over that hurdle.  He didn't have to start with hours of wasted time.  I also was able to direct him past the misunderstandings that I had about what Nomad is.

The new guy was able to start learning from a very different point of view.  I really think that ETC can provide similar help for the novice immensely, with only a little effort.

• An interesting development is that another person has taken a stab at learning the Nomad where I volunteer. This person had no lighting board experience.  He has now spent two full days now seeking to learn it using the manual, and online videos.  I will add that this person is unusually quick to learn things overall.  He has made amazing progress.

His learning was made a bit more difficult with things like not knowing what a DMX universe is.  So, I was able to help him fill in some knowledge gaps.  Still, it meant a lot of frustration and wasted time.  I can see that it is not ETC's job to teach the very basics. But, still 10 minutes, or even 5 minutes of introduction to things they expect you to know before viewing  the other videos would probably solve this issue. Or a just provide a link to someone else's video.

Seeing this person and their success has made me evaluate my own frustration with it.  I was frustrated with things as basic as finding a manual, or any videos, since the word Nomad is not used to label what ETC has available. But this new person had me to get him over that hurdle.  He didn't have to start with hours of wasted time.  I also was able to direct him past the misunderstandings that I had about what Nomad is.

The new guy was able to start learning from a very different point of view.  I really think that ETC can provide similar help for the novice immensely, with only a little effort.

Children
No Data
Related