irfr classic remote with 2.8

Hi

I have a question re the Irfr classic app remote:

I have recently upgraded to ver 2.8.

I currently use a Ipod touch (the old one!) andd have been running the Irfr classic app as a remote for about 3 years. All is set up correctly and was working fine till the upgrade to ver 2.8.

Since the app is classic ( i.e. surpassed and legacy), does this mean that the classic app is no longer being supported with 2.8 and beyond?

I have tried to connect with the correct information to an Ion (win 7 w/2.8) and a mac Nomad (w/2.8) and I am unable to connect. I have tried this with a classic app on my android phone too with no luck.

Without going to far down the rabbit hole, has the support for the classic IRFR app being discontinued with 2.8?

It just means I have to upgrade my ipod touch or similar into a newer model as the support for the ipod touch has been discontinued too etc.

This make sense to me but I would rather confirm before spending what I do not need to spend....

Am I right in my thinking?

Eamon

Parents
  • Hey Eamon! 2.8 does still support iRFR/aRFR Classic. So it sounds like there might be a larger network or settings issue here. I'd recommend taking a look at the support post below. Follow the steps there to make sure that both your wireless network and the console itself is configured properly.

https://support.etcconnect.com/ETC/Consoles/Console_Apps/How_to_Set_Up_Your_Wireless_Network_for_iRFR_or_aRFR_Classic

• HI Jake

Thanks for this.

I am good with my set up and I have had it in place for a while now. I understand the how and some of the what to the IP make up etc.

My Ip address et al appears to be correct and I have no problem connecting with Ver 2 of the Arfr and the OSC RFR app. I normally use the OSC RFR but I want to bring my ipod touch running the classic version back into play,

I have done a couple of tests including duplicate the ip (turn the arfr off!), checked passwords, checked ip's, subnets etc. All are as they should be except it will not connect with the classic app. 

I have mirrored the set up for both my updated arfr app and the irfr classic app still to no avail.

The set up section shows that it is connected properly but when I go to connect to the console, it will not allow a connection. I cannot remember the error message flagged.

I will double check all in the am after I apply the just announced update.

eamon

• Hey Eamon. If you continue to have issues, let me know what the error popup says and I'll be able to help narrow down where the issue lies.

• Hi

Just coming back to this.

I have applied the recent update of 2.8.1 this morning to both my Win 7 Ion & my mac mini Nomad.

I am still getting refusal of connection from both consoles with specific respect to the classic iRFR  and the aRFR app's. I have the upgraded version of the aRFR and that works perfectly with the same common information.

Please see below the specific's of each app refusal:

aRFR:

The connect box is greyed out and the name/address section below displays it as being offline.

iRFR

When I attempt to connect, the following message appears on the screen:

No Connection

Connection Failed

Connection Refused.

When I try the same with the aRFR app ver 2, the connection is instantaneous.

This is why I believe this might be a bug or a software decision...?

From reading the support article linked above it does appears that is a network issue on my part. I am confident that all my items are in order as I do not experience any issues with other devices e.g. aRFR ver 2. I have not tried it with the iRFR ver 2 app.

I appreciate that ETC are moving on from the legacy hard/software but glad to see the classic app is still being supported. This is why I posed the question as to whether or not support had being discontinued for the app.

I did not have any issues prior to 2.8 but I have normally used my own phone with the OSC RFR app. The ipod touch with the classic app is the official remote for the theatre hence my wish to start re-using it.

Thanks

Eamon

• Hello, Eamon:

The connection refused message often indicates an incorrect password. The new version of the app (non-classic) doesn't require a password for connection.

The password is the device name as listed in ABOUT and is case sensitive and includes numbers and symbols.
    Can you please humor us and re-enter this password into the app?

Thank you,

Sasha

• Hi Sasha

I can confirm that i have checked the spelling and re-entered the password a couple of times. I assumed this was one of my errors to start with.

Both passwords are lowercase with no punctuation or non standard symbols etc. There are no letters used either.

Eamon

• OK- that error really only means the password is wrong or the wifi remote box in the shell is not checked.  I wouldn't expect either app to work if it were the latter.

We have not been able to duplicate this issue here at the factory at all, using any version of the app. We were consistently able to connect with all versions to many console types running v2.8.

What iOS version is the device running the older app?

Thank you,

Sasha

• Correction above: that should read numbers!

Will send on ios and android versions in another post.

• Hi

The OS for the remotes here is:

IOS:

It is very low but the ipod has only one function e.g. remote

Apple does not offer OS updates for this model. I have not attempted to update it in about a year or more but I was told via itunes that I was at the limit.

The Ipod Touch is 2nd generation. The model number is A1288. Circa 2008-2009.

Android:

The phone is a Samsung S7 Edge

Android OS is 8.0.0

Eamon

• I believe that iOS 4.2.1 may be so far behind that the app can't work on it.  I am looking into this and will get back to you.

• What version is the iRFR application itself?

Given the age of the iOS version, it is not likely the "iRFR Classic" app so much as it is the original iRFR app that's not been updated.

• If it is in fact the iRFR Classic, and not just the older version of the app, the OS is in fact too old.

• Hi

Thanks for researching this issue.

I had a feeling that redundancy was part of the problem. The ipod touch was very much a cheap method of a riggers remote. I have been slow to change it out as I have previous "fancy" tablets lifted on me. The ipod touch was not really worth stealing....

That is fine re being too old and naturally obsolete.

It just worked and was straight forward. 

Time to upgrade.

Thanks again.

• I am having the same issue as eamonfx describes above.  However, I am using an ipad mini running v.15.2 and the Classic v2.0.xxx.  I have tried both the iRFR Classic and the BTS.  In Classic, I get the green bars and ping on set up then get:

No Connection

Connection Failed

Connection Refused.

I have checked and re-entered all of the info on the console and the ipad mini. 

In BTS - I only get a red box at the top with

Remote disconnected

Any ideas?

Monty

• I am having the same issue as eamonfx describes above.  However, I am using an ipad mini running v.15.2 and the Classic v2.0.xxx.  I have tried both the iRFR Classic and the BTS.  In Classic, I get the green bars and ping on set up then get:

No Connection

Connection Failed

Connection Refused.

I have checked and re-entered all of the info on the console and the ipad mini. 

In BTS - I only get a red box at the top with

Remote disconnected

Any ideas?

Monty

Children
Related