Backup ELE2 using Nomad

Maybe wrong forum my bad! We have Element 2 which recently had to be returned for service. ETC nicely loaned a ELEMENT 1 to keep show running but two shipping charges cost us a lot and the ELEMENT 1 showed some weird problems (ETC advised). So we are looking for something that we can 'drop in place' during a show. The NOMAD looks promising. The idea is that once a show is fully programmed and running and then a problem occurs we can just plug in the NOMAD and the tech can click the cue go icon - whatever. We're only using a single universe DMX system.

Questions then just to make sure; 1/ Can we run NOMAD EOS (Said to be for WIN7) on a Windows 10 computer?  2/ Presumably the NOMAD has a DMX output socket? and 3/ Most important; can we just 'drop' a USB save showfile from our ELE2 into the NOMAD and run the show?

Parents
  • 1) yes

2) nomad is a software not hardware so no it does not have an output port. You can either output with an USB to DMX device by ETC, called Gadget II. Or you can output through network to any node or gateway that can listen to sACN or ArtNet. the network device can also be 3rd party, but the USB device need to be by ETC

3) yes.

Don't forget that you not only need the nomad software and an output device, you also need a license. This comes as a USB dongle. It's available for 512 addresses or 6144 addresses.

• We're ONLY DMX so dongle at $225 a must I guess (Pity, as we have ENTEC USB/DMX). Presumably USB license dongle comes on purchase of the NOMAD. Still, overall at around $800 better than Puck at $2,600. I can see why really big shows have 2 boards in tow now. Its a creepy feeling when mid show something goes belly up! Thanks for the help.

Reply Children
Related