Backup ELE2 using Nomad

Maybe wrong forum my bad! We have Element 2 which recently had to be returned for service. ETC nicely loaned a ELEMENT 1 to keep show running but two shipping charges cost us a lot and the ELEMENT 1 showed some weird problems (ETC advised). So we are looking for something that we can 'drop in place' during a show. The NOMAD looks promising. The idea is that once a show is fully programmed and running and then a problem occurs we can just plug in the NOMAD and the tech can click the cue go icon - whatever. We're only using a single universe DMX system.

Questions then just to make sure; 1/ Can we run NOMAD EOS (Said to be for WIN7) on a Windows 10 computer?  2/ Presumably the NOMAD has a DMX output socket? and 3/ Most important; can we just 'drop' a USB save showfile from our ELE2 into the NOMAD and run the show?

Parents Reply
  • Thank you. We have a single ELEMENT 2 connected to a Private WiFi router (no internet access) to be able to use our RFU tablet. A straight ETC USB/DMX would allow us to switch the DMX Cable to the dimmer rack from the console to the USB/DMX dongle.

But, I'm still trying to get my head around the sACN/ArtNet/DMX thingy. As we do not use anything more than a single DMX Universe I'm trying to work out if this would have any advantages in our small setup.    

Children
  • to use the backup as a real backup (so-called tracking backup, i.e. master and backup are connected and backup knows what master does at all times, so it's always in the correct cue) you will need a network cable between the two anyway.

so the proposed solution is:

you take a simple unmanaged (not "smart") network switch. this is the heart of your small network. you connect multiple things to it: your element, the nomad computer, the router and the sACN/ArtNet-to-DMX thingy.
    your one DMX cables stays connected to that thingy all the time. the network, element and nomad find out among themselves who is sending stuff to the DMX thingy. so in case of failure you don't need to re-plug the DMX cable

• Oh - I'm getting there :)  So taking all of this into account we would setup all as you describe; Then move our current 'DMX to dimmer' cable from the Element 2 into the "thingy".

With respect to the "Unmanaged network switch" Would our "Netgear  WiFi AC1000" with 4 ethernet ports (one in use by ELE2) provide the switch function or would we be better off getting a small separate switch box?

• Yes that should work perfectly and its better not to have two switches passing stuff from each other as more scope for things to misbehave.  

So all you need to do is plug the "thingy" into the the netgear and plug nomads into it as well and move the DMX cable as you said.

You are then all setup for the future in a robust way.

If you ever need more universes it just plug another "thingy" into the switch.  You can also put the "thingys" at the stage rather than in your FOH position and just run a single Ethernet cable to them which is easier /than long DMX runs.

• Excellent. Actually understand this. Thank you for your patience. 

Related