Dimmer curves

Hello, I have some questions about dimmer curves.

If I do not select a curve, which curve does EOS use by default?

Which Curve is best for Fresnel lights like a Mole 5k, 2k or 1k? What curve is best for a Source Four Pars and which Curve is best for regular house hold light bulbs?

I tried the Incandescent curve on our lights and it lowered their intensity quite a bit, What is that Curve meant for? I am starting to think maybe it's for emulating an incandescent and shouldn't be applied to them but I am interested in finding out what the actual answer is. 

Thanks!

Parents
  • A curve is how a value reacts to your input.

I think the default is zero = zero and full = full and a straight line between the two.

you can use curves for all sorts of things

running a flicker or a stagger over the entire cue (or part of) as the lights fade (easier than building an effect and a follow on.

changing the start value if (for instance) the units only start to eminate light at 40%

changing the way LED units fade

snapping out shutters 

etc etc . . . .

look at the non dim at full and non dim at 50 curve and see that they do just what they say.

They're easy to edit too, copy one to another and input values at other values (I cant remember the syntax but sure someone else on here will get back to you/ tell me where Im wrong ) ;)

• I think you're both saying that the curve is only supposed to affect the light when it's transitioning through fades. (We have a problem with some lights flickering unintentionally, someone suggested I change the curves to fix the flickers.) So I changed the curves for our lights all to incandescent and there was a tremendous drop in light output, even when set to 100% the lights were not as bright as they are with no dimmer curve set. So now I'm wondering what is that profile actually meant to do? I took a peek at it in the curve tab and the line does eventually reach 100% there, so I'm confused.

• if the curve reaches 100% the output with curve and without curve should be the same if the intensity is set to 100.

can you check if there is a proportion set in Patch>Attributes? that could make the channel not reach 100% even if Live display says 100.

i don't think a curve can solve any flickering when there is no transition happening.

• Thanks for your help. I didn't have a proportion set but I took a look at the Incadescent Curve after you explained it and saw that the Input/Output was really low. 60% on the Console was only 38% on stage.

Reply Children
No Data
Related