Creating "Matrix" Code Falling / Waterfall Effect

I'm trying to make an effect similar to the green ones and zeroes falling in the Matrix movies. I know this can be achieved by pixel mapping the actual movie, but sometimes it's nice to just be able to use the effects editor:     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqUR3KtWbTk 

I managed to make a similar looking absolute "random" effect with a rectangular grid thats 10 columns and 5 rows of LEDs. But to make it work I have to manually type out the columns in a random order (ex: 1 thru 5 + 16 thru 20 + 46 thru 50 + 36 thru 40 + 41 thru 45, etc). I'm just wondering if there's a quicker way to type out groups and randomize it. I tried [offset] [number of groups] [10] [random] but that doesn't seem to randomize the group by group (it just makes 10 groups of random numbers). It would be great if the order of selection in offset mattered, and you could randomize the groups AFTER making them, instead of making groups of random numbers. Also seems like using parentheses for groups ruins this effect because the lights will only change as a whole group (ex: (1 thru 5)(16 thru 20)(46 thru 50)(36 thru 40)(41 thru 45) etc doesn't work. 

Another issue I encountered is that trying to use {random group} or {random rate} makes the lights all flash once and then go to zero and hold. Does anyone know why that would happen? I have the duration set to "infinite" so I'm puzzled why it just stops and doesn't work at all. 

Thanks

Greg

• () denotes a subgroup and when running an effect on a group those channel act together as one, so I think that is part of what you are running into.  I really do think a pixel map is the best option in this case for recreating what is really a pixel mapped type effect. 

• HI Greg

would this work?

make a separate group for each column (groups 1 through 10)

apply an intensity effect to one of the groups.  get the trailing parameters correct .

apply that effect to the other groups, either at once or individually.

record all groups with running fx into a cue.

modify certain groups by adding a discrete delay, so they start the effect a bit later than others and re-record the cue.

I know there is no random here.  not sure where a random would come into play here.

depending on how long the fx is supposed to run, maybe build 3 or 4 cues following each other with the effect(s), with each cue "restarting' the waterfall in a different order.  have that effect loop x# of times, then move on to the next cue, triggering the waterfall in a different order with different delays.  that loops y# of times, and repeat.

maybe have a few variants of the effect, with slightly different timings.  maybe have the last step delay a certain amount, differing between the effects, so column A  and Column B start at different times (via the delay), and then the cycle is a slightly different time, and the last step has a different hold time, so it breaks pattern from A as it loops around.

Dunno.  YMMV.  good luck.

Andrew

Related