Feature Request: ArtNet 4 Unicast

Hi,

I have to control 3500 single RGBW-Leds and use 8-port ArtNet - DMX controller. Every controller with it's own IP and 8 DMX-universes (0-7).

I have to use Resolume Arena, Enttec Elm or Madrix, cause my Gio@5 has 48 universes but cannot address the ArtNet controller. I can't use

ETC-Gateways, cause 8 ArtNet-controller for 64 universes costs les than 1000€ (the price of one 4-port ETC gateway). Is there a way in the near

future to add ArtNet 4 to the Eos software ?

Thanks in advance

Jochen

Parents Reply Children
  • cause a lot of people in the forum asking for that feature.

i can't find any other request for ArtNet4 unicast in the forum and only one other for ArtNet4. there are currently more requests for sACN unicast...

• Unicast sACN will be O.K., cause my nodes work with both. The difference ArtNet has no licence fees.

• That's not correct.
    The difference is that sACN is an ANSI Standard (ANSI E1.31-2014), while Art-Net is a proprietary royalty-free specification.

The main effect of this difference is that the Art-Net specification usually changes without notice or public discussion - it's driven by the project and marketing needs of Artistic Licence.
    sACN changes very slowly, with plenty of notice, cross-industry discussion and periods of public review.

The sACN Standard is available for free here: https://tsp.esta.org/tsp/documents/published_docs.php

As to your problem:

From your description, your LED controller does not appear to comply with the minimum requirements for any version of Art-Net or sACN. I'm that can't be correct.

Art-Net 1 required configuration of Sub-Net (global) and Universe (per DMX port), while the Art-Net 3 and 4 specifications require support of Art-DMX Net, Sub-Net (per block) and Universe (per DMX port).

Excerpt from the Art-Net 4 specification (rev DD, Jan 2017, page 6):
    https://artisticlicence.com/WebSiteMaster/User%20Guides/art-net.pdf

This means that any Node will have:
    - One “Net” switch.
    - One “Sub-Net” switch.
    - One “Universe” switch for each implemented DMX512 input or output

A product designer may opt to implement these as hard or soft switches.

You should contact your supplier about this, and ask them to clarify how to configure the receiving sACN Universe numbers or Art-DMX Net, Sub-Net and Universe numbers.

I'm sure that any reputable supplier will be glad to help you find and configure the Universe settings on your device.

Related